X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jason
    Administrator
    • Dec 2008

Attention Inventors: Google's Inverter Challenge

Inverters are big and bulky and ripe for a change. You can't get away without using them as they are essential for transforming incoming DC currents to AC currents used to power everyday items. Google wants to remedy this by hosting a competition called the Little Box Challenge. Applicants will construct a much smaller inverter under specific requirements with the goal for cheaper and more easily accessible inverters for solar panel systems. Google has recently become more involved with energy management efforts and has invested in manufacturing companies whose products may be used to make these inverters. With the prize being $1 million dollars and a relationship with Google there may be hope for the new inverters to hit the market in the near future. The challenge concludes in July 2015 so there is still time for input. If you like inventing things in your garage, then this challenge is for you.

More...
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Google is typical a disaster in the making when they get away from their core search business - probaly will mess this up as well.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• JCP
      Solar Fanatic
      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by russ
      Google is typical a disaster in the making when they get away from their core search business - probaly will mess this up as well.
      What makes you say that? Last I checked, Android is doing pretty well.

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by JCP
        What makes you say that? Last I checked, Android is doing pretty well.
        OK, OK - with the exception of Android. They have jumped into many areas and not done well.

The glasses for example - there are maybe a dozen companies doing it better and quieter - Google has to make a big splash for the division manager to justify his bonus.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• JCP
          Solar Fanatic
          • Mar 2014

OK, OK - with the exception of Android. They have jumped into many areas and not done well.

The glasses for example - there are maybe a dozen companies doing it better and quieter - Google has to make a big splash for the division manager to justify his bonus.
          You got to hand it to them, they do moon shots, but have quite a few misses. I like their ethos of trying to go big. It rarely works, but when it does, it's impressive. I've seen their self driving cars a few times on the freeway around here. We'll see if they can translate this into a mass product.

Comment

• Ian S
            Solar Fanatic
            • Sep 2011

I'm a Google admirer but I'm not really sure I understand the problem they're trying to solve. For the typical residential solar installation I don't see much of an advantage in reducing the size of the inverter by say 1/2. I also see attempting to do so resulting in the introduction of more problems e.g. compressing the same power conversion into a smaller envelope may require more sophisticated - and costly - heat dissipation methods. What am I missing?

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by JCP
              You got to hand it to them, they do moon shots, but have quite a few misses. I like their ethos of trying to go big. It rarely works, but when it does, it's impressive. I've seen their self driving cars a few times on the freeway around here. We'll see if they can translate this into a mass product.
              I really have troubles with the computer driven car - they would have to be not only near perfect but totally perfect to go. I am not sure that totally perfect is possible today.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Ian S
                Solar Fanatic
                • Sep 2011

I really have troubles with the computer driven car - they would have to be not only near perfect but totally perfect to go. I am not sure that totally perfect is possible today.
                Me too. Although I'm intrigued by the self parking feature now available. Anyone actually have experience with one?

Comment

• russ
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Ian S
                  I'm a Google admirer but I'm not really sure I understand the problem they're trying to solve. For the typical residential solar installation I don't see much of an advantage in reducing the size of the inverter by say 1/2. I also see attempting to do so resulting in the introduction of more problems e.g. compressing the same power conversion into a smaller envelope may require more sophisticated - and costly - heat dissipation methods. What am I missing?
                  Google does search super - I just have problems with their "do no evil" BS. They play politics very well with the street view and know exactly what they are doing. I have the same problem with Apple - always claiming to be the good guys while doing the same as everyone else.

I also have trouble understanding their target about the inverters - they are chasing a problem that isn't a problem.

They would do far more good by trying to work toward a nationwide standard for permits and procedures. That is the bottleneck - not inverters.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• russ
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Ian S
                    Me too. Although I'm intrigued by the self parking feature now available. Anyone actually have experience with one?
                    I have only read about them. That would be a good thing here where the average parking space has maybe 300 mm extra space on each end - or less.

Turks hate to pay for parking - they will spend 10$ of gas looking for free parking to save spending 2.50$ on paid parking. The preferred method here is to just double park and mess up traffic.
                    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Like we have a lot of perfect or even near perfect drivers on the road now.

Just saw an article in today's paper about a man driving his wife and 3 kids and her sister lost control and overturned the van. No one was wearing a seat belt. Mother and daughter dead and both sons in critical condition. This guy was a complete idiot to not make sure everyone had their seat restrains on and working.

Comment

• russ
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Jul 2009

Originally posted by SunEagle
                        Like we have a lot of perfect or even near perfect drivers on the road now.

Just saw an article in today's paper about a man driving his wife and 3 kids and her sister lost control and overturned the van. No one was wearing a seat belt. Mother and daughter dead and both sons in critical condition. This guy was a complete idiot to not make sure everyone had their seat restrains on and working.
                        Can't disagree with that but for total automation I think of the Air Asiana flight - where the entire cockpit crew was apparently playing pocket pool and thinking of the evening's prospective entertainment - and landed too slow plus a bit short of the runway - relying on the computer. And they were highly trained supposedly.

My old boss in India asked if level III automation would allow him to reduce operations staff in the plant. When I told him no - that they had to be there for emergencies he lost all interest in level III.
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Sunking
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Feb 2010

Turks hate to pay for parking
                          Wait until ISIS moves in and puts up their meters.
                          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Mike90250
                            • May 2009

Originally posted by SunEagle
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS].... This guy was a complete idiot to not make sure everyone had their seat restrains on and working.
                            And each passenger has their own brain that can say, Put seatbelt on.
                            Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                            || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                            || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                            gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• JCP
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Mar 2014

On the subject of self driving cars, I'd personally love the idea. Go out partying, get in the car and tell the car to take you home safely. Now, that'd be progress!! Realistically, I think that the best we can hope for, especially in the liability lawsuit crazed people republic of California, is enhanced collision avoidance automation. May not be the moon shot they're going for, but it may go a long way toward making road safer.

Comment

Working...