X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billvon
    Solar Fanatic
    • Mar 2012

Originally posted by russ
    By intelligent and real research continuing over time.
    Agreed. And after over 40 years of research into AGW we have a pretty good understanding of it. Which is why we can make pretty accurate predictions - and watch them come to pass.

The test of any predictive theory is its ability to predict. And so far the predictions of the first IPCC have been quite close to what has actually happened.

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Originally posted by billvon
      Agreed. And after over 40 years of research into AGW we have a pretty good understanding of it. Which is why we can make pretty accurate predictions - and watch them come to pass.

The test of any predictive theory is its ability to predict. And so far the predictions of the first IPCC have been quite close to what has actually happened.
      Bull****! Bill you are now promoted to Ultra Reverend in the Holy Church of Climate Change!

The way all the parts of the climate play together and how the relationships change as the pieces change is not understood well at all. To claim it is understood simply shows you have zero idea.

The predictions so far have been wacko!

A joke in India was that all large public sector projects came in on schedule - of course they were rescheduled an average of 7 times. The only the so called climate change scientists have been correct so far is to advertise their latest set of results and ignore last weeks.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• rug_burn
        • Jun 2014

Just take a look at the polar icecaps and you ain't gotta be a genius to know that global warming is a reality. Yes, I'm aware that there is a fraction of Antarctica that is getting colder, but global warming is about the globe as a whole...

You guys can argue over semantics like 'proven' vs 'extremely likely' like in Patrick Moore's testimony before congress all you want. About the only thing you can actually prove is math, anyway, As Dr. Moore knows. But just tell us why the North Pole is almost passable by canoe these days. Go ahead, we're all ears.

Let me ask you doubters which part of the scientific argument don't you accept?
        1. That CO2 and other greenhouse gases act to retain heat in our atmosphere?
        2. That mankind has greatly contributed to the presence of CO2 in our air, and continues to push the system out of balance?
        3. That the warming effect already seen increases the earth's tendency to retain even more heat?
        4. That global warming even is occurring?
        5. Do you believe that science is worth listening to at all?

You guys prefer to listen to the one scientist out of 100 who thinks it's not a problem. Let's hear the testimony out of the other 99 and how they arrived at their conclusions. Maybe then you'd realize they're not full of it, and it's something we should be concerned about... but probably not.

Yeah, eventually the climate pendulum will swing back the other way, but until then it ain't gonna be like it is now, nor like it has been to this point. Maybe it'll swing so far mankind will become the new endangered species.

I'm only going to be here 30 years more at best, so it ain't gonna affect me too much, but I don't see why we should just trash the place. It does matter to our descendants.

My $.02

Comment

• Rdjntx
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2012

Originally posted by Ward L
          We have to do what is right, we are still the leader of the free world right?
          We have not been the leader of the free world since Obama was elected the first time and went on his world apology tour. And the U.S. has been leaderless since the same date.

In 1986 this was the prediction of the "global warming is a crisis" crowd. Published in the NYTimes :

"The conclusion, conveyed with great authority by several big-league climatologists from government and private research organizations, is terrible: by the year 2000, the atmosphere and weather will grow warmer by several degrees and life – animal, plant, human – will be threatened. The experts say that melting ice caps, flooded cities, droughts in the corn belt and famine in the third world could result if the earth’s mean temperature rises by a mere two or three degrees."

so here we are in 2014 and the predictions haven't changed a bit and neither has the arguments. Global Warmists are like the religonists that predict then end of times and then when the date slips, they merely adjust the date out. eventually they will be right because if they keep moving the bar out it has to be right at some point.

Personally I think global warming is a fact. there is no question that climate change is happening, the questions are how much of it is really being caused by man, and how much of it is inevitiable and unstoppable? I think a far larger part is inevitiable and unstoppable than is caused by man

Comment

• Sunking
            Solar Fanatic
            • Feb 2010

Australia today said Global Warming is BS, and Repealed Carbon Tax. They figured out the SCAM. Don't deny it, it happened. Canada did roughly the same thing in 2011 when they abandoned the Kyota Treaty

Just a matter of time before the Fraud is exposed.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

• JCP
              Solar Fanatic
              • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Sunking
              Australia today said Global Warming is BS, and Repealed Carbon Tax. They figured out the SCAM. Don't deny it, it happened. Canada did roughly the same thing in 2011 when they abandoned the Kyota Treaty

Just a matter of time before the Fraud is exposed.
              The part that's interesting in this debate is that only Bill seems to be producing facts in this debate.

Bill,
              What's the current prediction on how global warming will affect weather? My guess is that there are so many interrelated patterns that we probably don't know what will change and how.

Comment

• Rdjntx
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2012

and in another 10 years he will still be producing those same "facts" and making the same arguments against the same backdrop using the same data that says in another 20 years the earth will end because of global warming, only they will be even more tired than they are now.

in the article I quoted they made the exact same arguments that bill has made. nothing has changed about their dire predictions other than the timeline. instead of the world ending in 2000 (then) or 2050 (now) the end date will be pushed out another 50 years or so

Originally posted by JCP
                The part that's interesting in this debate is that only Bill seems to be producing facts in this debate.

Bill,
                What's the current prediction on how global warming will affect weather? My guess is that there are so many interrelated patterns that we probably don't know what will change and how.

Comment

• JCP
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Mar 2014

Originally posted by Rdjntx
                  and in another 10 years he will still be producing those same "facts" and making the same arguments against the same backdrop using the same data that says in another 20 years the earth will end because of global warming, only they will be even more tired than they are now.

in the article I quoted they made the exact same arguments that bill has made. nothing has changed about their dire predictions other than the timeline. instead of the world ending in 2000 (then) or 2050 (now) the end date will be pushed out another 50 years or so
                  I don't remember seeing anything about the world ending.

Comment

• ChrisOlson
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Sep 2013

Originally posted by JCP
                    Really?

LOL!

ROTFLMAO!!!

Whatever turns your crank, dude.
                    off-grid in Northern Wisconsin for 14 years

Comment

• JCP
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Mar 2014

Originally posted by ChrisOlson
                      Really?

LOL!

ROTFLMAO!!!

Whatever turns your crank, dude.
                      You're making my point...

Comment

• Ian S
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Sunking
                        Nah they just foolishly elected conservatives to power.

Comment

• inetdog
                          Super Moderator
                          • May 2012

I think that this thread is getting pretty far off topic (or the topic is already off topic). Can we go on to more useful things?
                          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• ChrisOlson
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Sep 2013

Originally posted by inetdog
                            I think that this thread is getting pretty far off topic (or the topic is already off topic). Can we go on to more useful things?
                            inetdog, the climate change debate (if you can call it that) is a very interesting topic. I happen to side with folks like Dr. Patrick Moore, believing that mankind does not fully understand all the details, and taking a common sense approach is the best approach. Because, after all, the human race is not going to significantly reduce CO2 emissions anyway and everybody knows that.

Other folks side with Al Gore and enjoy the alarmist approach, making dire predictions, movies about it, and getting Nobel Prizes for exactly what, nobody knows.

It's interesting to see humans do things like build huge cities and economies in a desert (Southern California) by tapping into the Colorado and other water resources, over-exploiting the resources, a drought comes - and then blame it on climate change. In an area, no less, where droughts lasting 200-1,000 years have been common in the past. It is good to debate these things because it makes it evident how stupid and vain humans really are (despite their self-anointed "knowledge"). Since the record of humans engineering the environment and thinking they can control it has not been all that good, this puts the issue of so-called "climate change" right up there at the top of the list of just one more human blunder.

So the thread is not off-topic as I see it, and it is a good one. The people who read the forum, and normally don't say much or just lurk, can read all this and draw their own conclusions. There is much religious fervor demonstrated when pushing the climate change agenda, and the voice of dissent or common sense is many times lost in the litany.

Comment

• inetdog
                              Super Moderator
                              • May 2012

I enjoy it too, but I see it fitting a lot better under "General Discussion" than "Solar industry trends". Although it was Jason that started it off there.

I know that a lot of members just look at new threads and do not pay much attention to the Forum that they come from.
                              SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• ChrisOlson
                                Solar Fanatic
                                • Sep 2013

Originally posted by inetdog
                                I enjoy it too, but I see it fitting a lot better under "General Discussion" than "Solar industry trends".
                                Well now, there you have a point. LOL! I suppose some sort of correlation could be attempted between the the current administration "attacking" the climate change problem and solar industry trends. But I'm afraid it would be a very far-fetched correlation. Some would claim since we're "cracking down" on CO2 (while India and China meanwhile ramp it up) that this will be good for the solar power industry. And they will cite numbers like a 35% increase in global solar capacity in 2013. Ooohhh - that sounds GOOD. But 35% of the roughly 0.5% of global electricity that is generated by solar PV is, ummmm........ well............ I think you get my drift.

Comment

Working...