X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jason
    Administrator
    • Dec 2008

White House Home of Solar Energy Once Again

After an interlude of almost 30 years, solar panels are once again gracing the home of the president of the United States. We are not sure why it took so long, but solar energy has followed a circuitous path of intrigue and can you believe it, politics. President Jimmy Carter originally placed solar thermal collectors on the White House. As with many of Carter's policies, Reagan couldn't wait to undo the policies of his predecessor. The collectors were not trashed but some of them found their way to Unity College in Maine.As we reported in 2010, President Obama had planned to install home solar panels not just on the grounds of the White House, but also on the White House itself. The plans have been in the works for some time, but only recently did he get around to implementing these plans. There were some that pointed out correctly that the 6.3 kilowatt array was tiny compared to the White House's consumption of energy, around 2% according to the Daily Caller. But since the U.S. solar energy comprises less than 1% of our energy consumption, it still is more than most.

More...
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Jason
    After an interlude of almost 30 years, solar panels are once again gracing the home of the president of the United States. We are not sure why it took so long, but solar energy has followed a circuitous path of intrigue and can you believe it, politics. President Jimmy Carter originally placed solar thermal collectors on the White House. As with many of Carter's policies, Reagan couldn't wait to undo the policies of his predecessor. The collectors were not trashed but some of them found their way to Unity College in Maine.As we reported in 2010, President Obama had planned to install home solar panels not just on the grounds of the White House, but also on the White House itself. The plans have been in the works for some time, but only recently did he get around to implementing these plans. There were some that pointed out correctly that the 6.3 kilowatt array was tiny compared to the White House's consumption of energy, around 2% according to the Daily Caller. But since the U.S. solar energy comprises less than 1% of our energy consumption, it still is more than most.

More...
    About time. Glad it finally got installed.

I wonder who gets to take the 30% Fed tax rebate on that system.

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

As I remember, Carter's system was leaking and therefore removed - the political rant is BS.

PV on the White House is eye candy and nothing more - about like Michelle's "organic garden" that I expect she can't even remember where it is. An investment by the White House in a solar farm would make a lot more sense - the kilowatts would work about the same and be a lot more practical.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Ward L
        Solar Fanatic
        • Feb 2014

Thought Bush Did It!

My lovely liberal wifey told me Bush removed the solar panels from the White House. You just can't believe everything you hear! Wonder what the government got for $/W? Probably pretty high price and would have been better to not do....

Comment

• russ
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Ward L
          My lovely liberal wifey told me Bush removed the solar panels from the White House. You just can't believe everything you hear! Wonder what the government got for $/W? Probably pretty high price and would have been better to not do....
          If I remember correctly some company gave it to the white house - I am sure there were future considerations involved.
          [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Working...