Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solar Industry Issues/Problems

Hi guys!

I am new here and I had a few questions for you guys.

Currently, I work in the solar panel industry and I was a little curious about what you guys think is missing in the industry.

Are there products that you guys can't believe aren't produced yet? Is there something you with companies/manufacturers would do to make your life easier? Is there product support missing?

Besides the obvious problems of cost or power, in your mind what is holding back the industry?

I am not really asking on behalf of my profession, I really am just curious. The solar panel market is an evolving market, I just do not feel that is has evolved quite like I would have predicted 5+ years ago.

Originally posted by cph15 View Post
    Hi guys!

I am new here and I had a few questions for you guys.

Currently, I work in the solar panel industry and I was a little curious about what you guys think is missing in the industry.

Are there products that you guys can't believe aren't produced yet? Is there something you with companies/manufacturers would do to make your life easier? Is there product support missing?

Besides the obvious problems of cost or power, in your mind what is holding back the industry?

I am not really asking on behalf of my profession, I really am just curious. The solar panel market is an evolving market, I just do not feel that is has evolved quite like I would have predicted 5+ years ago.
    Simply, the solar industry needs a breakthrough in electrical storage technology. Then another breakthrough in electrical transmission technology.

Comment

Originally posted by DanS26 View Post
      Simply, the solar industry needs a breakthrough in electrical storage technology. Then another breakthrough in electrical transmission technology.
      That plus common nationwide rules where every dingwater burg can't make up their own do's and don'ts.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
        That plus common nationwide rules where every dingwater burg can't make up their own do's and don'ts.
        While agreeing w/ Dan & Russ' comments, I think the solar "industry", however that's defined, is doing just fine. IMO, a good part of the reason it's doing fine is the ignorance of most people about what the solar industry is selling them.

Seems to me vendors are more often than not picking the low hanging fruit of people with more money than solar and energy use savvy, and product quality, (materials and professional service) suffers, or at least stagnates.

So, in a larger sense, to the extent of public ignorance anyway, I'd suggest a more educated public would improve the product (material quality and professionalism in services) and the vendors by raising the bar that the industry must clear thorough competition forced on them by educated customers who have a better handle on what they really need, what's possible and practical, and where to get it for the most bang for the buck.

The industry would be stronger, more innovative and would, I bet, have a higher probability of survival without or after subsidies.

If so, solar might have a better chance of becoming a viable part of the energy mix.

Comment

Originally posted by J.P.M. View Post
          While agreeing w/ Dan & Russ' comments, I think the solar "industry", however that's defined, is doing just fine. IMO, a good part of the reason it's doing fine is the ignorance of most people about what the solar industry is selling them.

Seems to me vendors are more often than not picking the low hanging fruit of people with more money than solar and energy use savvy, and product quality, (materials and professional service) suffers, or at least stagnates.

So, in a larger sense, to the extent of public ignorance anyway, I'd suggest a more educated public would improve the product (material quality and professionalism in services) and the vendors by raising the bar that the industry must clear thorough competition forced on them by educated customers who have a better handle on what they really need, what's possible and practical, and where to get it for the most bang for the buck.

The industry would be stronger, more innovative and would, I bet, have a higher probability of survival without or after subsidies.

If so, solar might have a better chance of becoming a viable part of the energy mix.
          I see where you are coming from. I also feel that ignorance of the public is holding back the "industry". It is just very difficult to inform the public, whom do not already know or understand solar power about this sort of technology. It is kind of complex and the common person does not even want to learn how to use it, let alone look at any math as to why it could work.

I know product quality can suffer in some cases. But it is a difficult balance between having superior materials, and cost. The main battle I see everyone struggling with is cost. We can't even get anyone to look at a product if its $800-900 when we have electricity already running to our houses. Or have cheaper foreign made products floating around that do not even remotely perform as good, but it doesn't matter if it's cheaper. The public sees price first and ignores anything that comes after.

Comment

I see where you are coming from. I also feel that ignorance of the public is holding back the "industry".
            Hogwash it is ignorance that is making the industry. If folks were really educated, there would be no solar industry.
            MSEE, PE

Comment

Originally posted by Sunking View Post
              Hogwash it is ignorance that is making the industry. If folks were really educated, there would be no solar industry.
              I'm not quite sure I understand. How so?

Comment

cheaper foreign made products floating around that do not even remotely perform as good
                Based on what I have learned from reading this forum, can a blanket statement like that be made?

P.S., I think you need to out yourself.
                Kerry
                San Diego, CA

Comment

I see where you are coming from. I also feel that ignorance of the public is holding back the "industry". It is just very difficult to inform the public, whom do not already know or understand solar power about this sort of technology. It is kind of complex and the common person does not even want to learn how to use it, let alone look at any math as to why it could work.

I know product quality can suffer in some cases. But it is a difficult balance between having superior materials, and cost. The main battle I see everyone struggling with is cost. We can't even get anyone to look at a product if its $800-900 when we have electricity already running to our houses. Or have cheaper foreign made products floating around that do not even remotely perform as good, but it doesn't matter if it's cheaper. The public sees price first and ignores anything that comes after.
                  3$ worth of BS in a 2$ bag - The old Foreign quality whinge - Even Chinese quality can be quite good. Depends on the QC platform the particular company works on. Ebay is far more dangerous in my opinion.

I would estimate maybe 1% of the public has any idea at all. If the average power consumer realized how they are paying for their neighbor's solar array the stuff would hit the fan.

The math is very simple as Sunking and others keep trying to explain.
                  Last edited by russ; 05-29-2014, 02:30 PM.
                  [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by kmm View Post
                    Based on what I have learned from reading this forum, can a blanket statement like that be made?

P.S., I think you need to out yourself.
                    You are right, that is not what I should have said. There are cheaper foreign and domestic products out there. Some do not perform, some do. Blanket statements should not be made.

If you are referring to who I'm working for when you say "out myself" I would rather not. This is not on behalf of anything work related and I would rather not try to represent a company I work for on recreational use.

Comment

If you are referring to who I'm working for when you say "out myself" I would rather not. This is not on behalf of anything work related and I would rather not try to represent a company I work for on recreational use.
                      Then this thread will continue to read like a telephone survey.
                      Kerry
                      San Diego, CA

Comment

A state university somewhere?
                        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
                          A state university somewhere?
                          No, I'm a manufacturing engineer for a company. I graduated 4 years ago.
                          Last edited by cph15; 05-30-2014, 09:04 AM. Reason: I wasn't an English major

Comment

No, I'm a manufacturing engineer for a company. I graduate 4 years ago.
                            M.E., Congratulations!

In my own Company, I've only gone as far as earning the title of SCBSCI.

Self-Certified Butt-Splice-Connector Installer
                            [CENTER]SunLight @ Night[/CENTER]

Comment

FWIW, I'm of the opinion that contrary to what you write, the ignorance of the public is part of any short term success the solar industry is enjoying. If people took more time and expended a bit more effort to learn about what they spend multiples of $10K on, they may have a better idea how badly they are usually taking it in the shorts.

The solar industry is no more evil than any other enterprise. They are merely the means of capitalizing on people's self inflicted ignorance. We are, in some ways, our own worst enemies.

Comment

Working...
                              X