Here comes the world's biggest photovoltaic solar power plant

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Here comes the world's biggest photovoltaic solar power plant

290MW Agua Caliente solar project is the one among the biggest photovoltaic solar power plan at present that is operational. This $1.8bn solar project was originally initiated by NextLight Renewable Power, which was acquired by First Solar.

The same rating as two frame 9E GE gas turbines in closed cycle configuration - a small power plant really.

Except - the turbines would operate 7*24 rather than only when the sun shines.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by samhpes View Post
      290MW Agua Caliente solar project is the one among the biggest photovoltaic solar power plan at present that is operational. This $1.8bn solar project was originally initiated by NextLight Renewable Power, which was acquired by First Solar.
      Holy cow--that's $6.20/watt. Here I thought economies of scale were supposed to make things cheaper, not more expensive.

Does anyone have any insight into what happened here? I'm guessing they signed a contract back in 2008 and locked in a "good" price. It looks like they're using First Solar thin film panels, which looked attractive before the price of silicon collapsed a few years ago.

As an aside, I'm pretty sure I flew over this a few months ago on a trip from Minneapolis to Los Angeles.
      16x TenK 410W modules + 14x TenK 500W inverters

Comment

Originally posted by pleppik View Post
        Holy cow--that's $6.20/watt. Here I thought economies of scale were supposed to make things cheaper, not more expensive.
        This is an "old" project - probably a bit of cushioning going into that - or rather into someone's pocket.

I don't know a current price for gas turbines in combined cycle configuration - 10 years back it was in the 350,000$ per mW as I remember. Funny part was that by the time the company told the banks the price it was closer to 1 million$ per mW. In a far away place.
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

Originally posted by russ View Post
          I don't know a current price for gas turbines in combined cycle configuration - 10 years back it was in the 350,000$ per mW as I remember. Funny part was that by the time the company told the banks the price it was closer to 1 million$ per mW. In a far away place.
          No question a gas turbine will have a lower capital expense. Of course, you then have to spend $0.02 to $0.05 per kWh to feed the beast, depending on the price of natural gas.
          16x TenK 410W modules + 14x TenK 500W inverters

Comment

Working...
          X