Will solar power be over 1% of U.S. electricity production in 2016?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pleppik
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2014

That's only two years away. Coming up fast.

Just curious about everyone's thoughts.
    16x TenK 410W modules + 14x TenK 500W inverters
  • bonaire
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2012

In good economic times, demand goes up. Also, if the drought in the west continues, AC demand will grow as well. That can dwarf the slow and steady growth of solar systems. Conservation and moving away from 120F climates is possibly a good idea. The problem is not 1% but peak demand points on the hottest days. People with multiple homes and needing to maintain climate controls in them also adds up.
    PowerOne 3.6 x 2, 32 SolarWorld 255W mono

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by pleppik

I wouldn't be surprised to find out that increased conservation measures displace more energy demand in the next 2 yrs. than solar, but have no way to verify it. To rerun a comment I made in a prior post: Back in the earlier days of solar, I heard one of the solar energy gurus say, in an unguarded moment, that the biggest and most serious threat to solar energy was not big oil or the utilities, but conservation.

Comment

• russ
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jul 2009

Would that be a big deal?
        [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• pleppik
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by russ
          Would that be a big deal?
          Yes and no. It would be a big deal insofar as it would represent sustained and rapid growth over many years and a still-small-but-becoming-significant piece of total generation. It would be a big deal because it's a round number, like Dow 10,000 or 500 home runs.

It would be a big deal because it's much harder to ignore a technology which is 1% of generation than a technology which is 0.11% of generation (the 2012 number).

In a practical sense, it would be no more significant than 0.98% or 1.02%.

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

In a practical sense, it would be no more significant than 0.98% or 1.02%.
            Last I heard, 1% of something is not a very big slice. Without the current subsidy level it will not get much farther either.
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• J.P.M.
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2013

Last I heard, 1% of something is not a very big slice. Without the current subsidy level it will not get much farther either.
              Sometimes its all relative. I'd like to get lucky 1% as much as Hugh Hefner.

Comment

• russ
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jul 2009

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                Sometimes its all relative. I'd like to get lucky 1% as much as Hugh Hefner.
                In that case 1% would probably be too much for me more than I could handle.
                [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• pleppik
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Feb 2014

So what do you think the maximum % of U.S. power from solar will be?

Presumably you believe it will hit some level and then stop growing. I'm curious about what you think that level is.

Comment

• bcroe
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jan 2012

So what do you think the maximum % of U.S. power from solar will be?

Presumably you believe it will hit some level and then stop growing. I'm curious about what you think that level is.
                    I think the limit will be much influenced by how much RE the power co can work
                    around without risking blackouts. That number may improve, but not a lot
                    has happened yet. Bruce Roe

Comment

• billvon
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Mar 2012

Maybe. We have about 10GW installed solar right now, and are generating .25% of our power. There's about 25GW of utility scale power plants under construction or planned. Not sure when they will all come on line.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by billvon
                        Maybe. We have about 10GW installed solar right now, and are generating .25% of our power. There's about 25GW of utility scale power plants under construction or planned. Not sure when they will all come on line.
                        And I hope that comes to pass.

Some perspective perhaps:

I drove around the Ivanpah solar plant a couple of weeks ago until I got the bum's rush from security. From 20 miles out it looked like something out of a sci-fi movie. Easily seen from I-15 about 30 miles outside of Vegas. Pretty impressive.

However, some sober reflection and some back of envelope stuff will reveal that the 5.5 sq. miles of landscape taken up by that plant, as visually impressive as it is, will, on a yearly basis displace something like about 5%-6% of the electricity supplied by a not uncommonly sized 2,000 mW electric conventional coal/nuc. steam cycle central power plant. Thus, it will require about 100 sq. miles of solar plant to replace one reasonably common size conventional power plant. The kicker is that without and until the energy storage situation is addressed and solved, the conventional power plant or something with the same 24/7 availability with all its infrastructure will still be needed regardless of how many solar plants come on line.

I'm a solar fan, but if I was a POCO, I'd put a billboard on the other side of I-15 stating the above and give the great unwashed masses a dose of reality and the tree huggers apoplexy.

Comment

• billvon
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Mar 2012

Originally posted by J.P.M.
                          However, some sober reflection and some back of envelope stuff will reveal that the 5.5 sq. miles of landscape taken up by that plant, as visually impressive as it is, will, on a yearly basis displace something like about 5%-6% of the electricity supplied by a not uncommonly sized 2,000 mW electric conventional coal/nuc. steam cycle central power plant. Thus, it will require about 100 sq. miles of solar plant to replace one reasonably common size conventional power plant.
                          Let's run the numbers there for a PV based plant.

100 sq mi is about 258x10^6 square meters. Making a conservative assumption of 150 watts/sq m (about average for PV) then we would see generation of 38 gigawatts peak, or about 233 gigawatt-hours per day. Averaged over 24 hours (to compare it to a base load plant) that would be equivalent to 9 gigawatts, or about 9 1GW power plants (a common size for base load plants.)

The kicker is that without and until the energy storage situation is addressed and solved, the conventional power plant or something with the same 24/7 availability with all its infrastructure will still be needed regardless of how many solar plants come on line.
                          Agreed, although thermal storage solar plants will help significantly with that.

Comment

• russ
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by billvon
                            Agreed, although thermal storage solar plants will help significantly with that.
                            Only questions are what, when and where. Nothing close today unfortunately.
                            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• pleppik
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Feb 2014

Only questions are what, when and where. Nothing close today unfortunately.
                              There's the plant in Spain which came online last fall, with 280MW and thermal storage.

I think I read something recently about this plant actually managing to deliver power 24 hours/day for some substantial fraction of the time, but I can't put my finger on the link right now.

Comment

Working...