X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jason
    Administrator
    • Dec 2008

Boom or bust in the future for solar

The solar industry is still booming, although you may not want to mention that to some of the solar panel manufacturers that have recently gone out of business. The industry is in a boom cycle worldwide but especially in the US, as reported in Greentechmedia.com. The U.S. will reach the 10 gigawatt mark of solar installed later this year, which only a few years ago seemed like a reach goal. The article quotes the president and CEO of Sunpower, who maintains that this boom has thrust solar into the mainstream of energy supply in the U.S. Solar energy can now compete with traditional energy sources. But to keep things in perspective, to harness even a one percent market share would mean that the industry would have to grow ten times its current size, according to Sunpower's CEO. We are not sure of these statistics, but the fact is that solar contributes still only a very small portion, way under 1%, of the nation's energy needs.

More...
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

I saw the Energy Secretary on CNN last night talking about all the gW of solar PV installed but she fails to mention the capacity factor of 10 to 20% - same with wind where a capacity factor may run between 10 and 35%.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• deco81231007
      • Sep 2013

The use of solar energy

Now the rational development and utilization of solar energy resources in each country are positive measures. Also due to this reason, some import and export of solar energy equipment, but also because of customs issues, spin out of control

Comment

• Beachnut
        • Aug 2013

Here on the Left coast of California, where AB 327 was just passed, my biggest fear factor is that the California Public Utilities commission now has the green light to make or break solar cost effectiveness. They will be deciding if the net meter charge is to go to $10 a month, and if the multi - tier rate structure is to remain the same, or be completely re-vamped. Knowing that sure made the decision on signing the solar contract that much harder, but I did, in hopes of the CPUC keeping the state on a Green path, and not so much a green cash flow path just for the utilities. Either way they decide, I am sure any change would just equal higher utility prices, as it always does in the long run. I just hope they keep Solar a viable cost effective solution, and not a big mistake for those of us choosing to go Solar...

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Beachnut
          Here on the Left coast of California, where AB 327 was just passed, my biggest fear factor is that the California Public Utilities commission now has the green light to make or break solar cost effectiveness. They will be deciding if the net meter charge is to go to $10 a month, and if the multi - tier rate structure is to remain the same, or be completely re-vamped. Knowing that sure made the decision on signing the solar contract that much harder, but I did, in hopes of the CPUC keeping the state on a Green path, and not so much a green cash flow path just for the utilities. Either way they decide, I am sure any change would just equal higher utility prices, as it always does in the long run. I just hope they keep Solar a viable cost effective solution, and not a big mistake for those of us choosing to go Solar...
          The pendulum may swing more into the favor of the Utility but it could also swing back toward the people.

I too hope Solar stays as a viable solution but it must be used in conjunction with a solid base electric generating strategy which at this time is slowly going away for California. The Utilities will need to figure that into their long term equation.

Comment

• johnethanbailey
            • Oct 2013

RE: Boom or bust in the future for solar

Originally posted by SunEagle
            The pendulum may swing more into the favor of the Utility but it could also swing back toward the people.

I too hope Solar stays as a viable solution but it must be used in conjunction with a solid base electric generating strategy which at this time is slowly going away for California. The Utilities will need to figure that into their long term equation.
            Slowly generated power plant cycle specially in US market, the reach of 10 giga watt mark for the installation of solar plant during later in this year, this is a nice project for reaching a enormous goal for achieving the of the plan.

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

Originally posted by johnethanbailey
              Slowly generated power plant cycle specially in US market, the reach of 10 giga watt mark for the installation of solar plant during later in this year, this is a nice project for reaching a enormous goal for achieving the of the plan.
              10 gW * 10% capacity factor = really 1 gW

[...]
              Last edited by Jason; 10-01-2013, 02:51 PM. Reason: Rude, inappropriate or off topic.
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Solar_atty
                • Sep 2013

Although I don't want solar to price folks out, by "swinging towards the utility" the price structure may actually stabilize the market. Hopefully there is still some market dynamics at play that will keep it in check and not swing too far in any direction.

Comment

Working...