X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Modelmaker
    • Aug 2012

Wire management on Large Commercial Install

Hey all,

So we are in the process of doing a large commercial install on a roof using a ballasted racking system. We have done various large roof systems, however we would like to see about trying a different method for running our positives and negatives back to the combiner boxes. Our hope is to use a product like this one http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ecatalog/N-1z0dseq.

We like the flexibility of it, as well as the fact that it is open and we can enter it from the side to join up with it. Our electrical inspector said he likes it particularly because of the open slots which allow you to fit more wire in it than in conduit that would be the same size because of the drop in temperature.

So here is where our problem is. The Electrical inspector said we are good to use it only if there is documentation from the manufacturer that it is UV resistant or Sunlight resistant, or the product must be stamped as such.

I have searched for a few days now trying to find something comparable that would meet those requirements.

Any Ideas,

Thanks
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Modelmaker
    Hey all,

So we are in the process of doing a large commercial install on a roof using a ballasted racking system. We have done various large roof systems, however we would like to see about trying a different method for running our positives and negatives back to the combiner boxes. Our hope is to use a product like this one http://www.grainger.com/Grainger/ecatalog/N-1z0dseq.

We like the flexibility of it, as well as the fact that it is open and we can enter it from the side to join up with it. Our electrical inspector said he likes it particularly because of the open slots which allow you to fit more wire in it than in conduit that would be the same size because of the drop in temperature.

So here is where our problem is. The Electrical inspector said we are good to use it only if there is documentation from the manufacturer that it is UV resistant or Sunlight resistant, or the product must be stamped as such.

I have searched for a few days now trying to find something comparable that would meet those requirements.

Any Ideas,

Thanks
    I would probably start with asking the manufacturer whether a particular type is UV-resistant. I am sure the white is not, for example. Did you look at the code sections cited under approvals to see whether any of them include sunlight resistance?
    With an open duct like this, you need to make sure that your wire is UV-resistant too (as UL-listed PV type wire is.)
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

The cable runs in the panels in my home use this material.

As the cable holder is intended for inside use there would be no reason for the manufacturer to spend extra for UV resistant plastic.

Most likely the inspector knows this but took the easy way out.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Modelmaker
        • Aug 2012

We have talked to various Manufacturers but to no avail.

We are also aware that it is a product that is intended for interior use.

Anything remotely close to this is what we are looking for, the flexibility of it and no need for ridged conduit make it an ideal solution.

Comment

Working...