Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Jbergess
    • Dec 2010

Snail Trails

Has anyone encountered this "phenomenon" known as Snail Trails?

We've sold thousands of modules all over North America, though we are primarily a Solar Thermal manufacture here in the states. That being said, we recently encountered this issue in a small number of panels that's referred to as Snail Trails.

From preliminary investigation, there has been no effect on the actual performance of the modules. It seems that this is something that occurs during the manufacturing process and shows up later, as there was no sign of the snail trails during the installation. It looks like a line of dust on the module, but it's under the glass. Has anyone else encountered this, or have any experience as to the cause? There seems to be a lot of extreme opinions (and some hysteria too) on the net, from what I can gather.

DSCN0073.jpgDSCN0075.jpg
    Attached Files
    Please read the Forum Rules before you post. If you want to advertise, send a message to Jason.
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Jbergess
    Has anyone encountered this "phenomenon" known as Snail Trails?

We've sold thousands of modules all over North America, though we are primarily a Solar Thermal manufacture here in the states. That being said, we recently encountered this issue in a small number of panels that's referred to as Snail Trails.

From preliminary investigation, there has been no effect on the actual performance of the modules. It seems that this is something that occurs during the manufacturing process and shows up later, as there was no sign of the snail trails during the installation. It looks like a line of dust on the module, but it's under the glass. Has anyone else encountered this, or have any experience as to the cause? There seems to be a lot of extreme opinions (and some hysteria too) on the net, from what I can gather.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]2372[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]2374[/ATTACH]
    I have seen a thread on this subject, just not sure it was at this forum, involving I believe Kyocera panels. The manufacturer indicated a cause, in the cell/panel construction, which I do not remember the details of, but indicated that it was not expected to adversely affect performance. I add a link here if I can find the original exchange.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• green
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2012

Just curious

Just out of curiousity, were these modules part of central inverter (higher voltage) systems or microinverter systems? Or both.

I have a theory, but it is pure speculation.

Just wondering,
      Green

Comment

• SolarJoe
        • Oct 2012

Based on Canadian Solar’s module manufacturing experience, snail trail happens very rarely – affecting very few modules, with the good news being that it does not appear to affect the output wattage. Testing of Canadian Solar’s modules with snail trail have been both internally by the Canadian Solar Photovoltaic Testing Laboratory and externally by the Frauenhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems, a third-party Germany-based research organization, as well as in the field at a power plant. After extensive testing, the output performance reveals no significant drop in wattage, and the drop exhibited by a very small number of modules was due to cell breakages instead of snail trail. Acceleration aging tests also occurred internally and externally. The reports show the snail trail does not spread after aging, and it does not affect the modules’ long-term power output and reliability, echoing many other independent studies.

Hey guys here is a article explaining what snail trail is enjoy.

Comment

• Jbergess
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by green
          Just out of curiousity, were these modules part of central inverter (higher voltage) systems or microinverter systems? Or both.

I have a theory, but it is pure speculation.

Just wondering,
          Green
          Hey Green,

The modules from the images were tied to a central inverter (Solectria). We have only had one or two modules where they were tied to a microinverter (Enphase).
          Please read the Forum Rules before you post. If you want to advertise, send a message to Jason.

Comment

• Jbergess
            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by SolarJoe
            Based on Canadian Solar’s module manufacturing experience, snail trail happens very rarely – affecting very few modules, with the good news being that it does not appear to affect the output wattage. Testing of Canadian Solar’s modules with snail trail have been both internally by the Canadian Solar Photovoltaic Testing Laboratory and externally by the Frauenhofer Institute for Solar Energy Systems, a third-party Germany-based research organization, as well as in the field at a power plant. After extensive testing, the output performance reveals no significant drop in wattage, and the drop exhibited by a very small number of modules was due to cell breakages instead of snail trail. Acceleration aging tests also occurred internally and externally. The reports show the snail trail does not spread after aging, and it does not affect the modules’ long-term power output and reliability, echoing many other independent studies.

Hey guys here is a article explaining what snail trail is enjoy.

http://www.onlinetes.com/tes0512-sol...ail-trail.aspx
            SolarJoe,

Thank you for the link. That was a great read, and it's the first concise, scientific, and reputable article I've found. That clears quite a bit up. Thanks again!

Comment

• mabreo
              • Jun 2013

Snail Trails

Does this issue seem to effect one panel type more than the other? Poly more than mono?

Comment

• jetb2
                • Nov 2013

posting

Posting so I can see pictures. I'll write something more substantial when I'm less of a newbie.

Comment

Working...