Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meter isolation link

Hi Guys
    In the process of getting a 1.05Kw solar power system installed. Ergon Energy came out yesterday to install the new meter and issued a defect notice because there was no meter isolation link installed. The company I bought it the solar system off have agreed (under protest) to install the link at no cost, but say they have never had this problem before. Has this happened to anyone else, and if so did you get stuck with the bill??

Lucky you ! At least they didn't shut all your power off. I suspect the solar provider has seen this before, and maybe is able to "skate" past the inspection half the time.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Originally posted by johnny 5 View Post
      Hi Guys
      In the process of getting a 1.05Kw solar power system installed. Ergon Energy came out yesterday to install the new meter and issued a defect notice because there was no meter isolation link installed.
      Who was the solar installation company?

We're with Ergon too, and we didn't get any such defect notices when they swapped out our 3 old meters (we have 3 phase power) for the one new digital meter. Zen did our solar install.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Bob View Post
        Who was the solar installation company?

We're with Ergon too, and we didn't get any such defect notices when they swapped out our 3 old meters (we have 3 phase power) for the one new digital meter. Zen did our solar install.
        The company is Energymatters. Would not recommend them. Long delay waiting for the panels and inverter and the installer took 4 days to install it. He would turn up for a couple of hours each day when it suited him. Lousy communication. Left a hole in the soffit, and another hole in the top of the meter box you could put your hand in. Took all the manuals for the panels and inverter and it took a few phone calls and emails to get repairs carried out and get the manuals back. And to top it all no meter link installed so Ergon shut my PV system down.

Comment

Wow, that sounds dodgy indeed. Energymatters is a big company, but sounds like they had a dodgy installer there. Probably a dodgy subbie.

Zen did my install, and they did a perfect job. Took them a day to do the actual install and I have no complaints. They used Chinese panels but a Sunny Boy inverter, so that's ok. I was quoted 6 x 175w panels but they installed 6 x 190w panels. They were great to deal with from start to finish.

Comment

Originally posted by Aussie Bob View Post
            Wow, that sounds dodgy indeed. Energymatters is a big company, but sounds like they had a dodgy installer there. Probably a dodgy subbie.

Zen did my install, and they did a perfect job. Took them a day to do the actual install and I have no complaints. They used Chinese panels but a Sunny Boy inverter, so that's ok. I was quoted 6 x 175w panels but they installed 6 x 190w panels. They were great to deal with from start to finish.
            Yep, probably can't blame Energymatters completely, Central Electics did the install, and as you said the contractor was dodgy. I have the Sunnyboy 1700 and 6 x 175 watt Sharp panels. Hope to expand the system to 10 or 12 panels in the next 12 months if I can afford it.
            Cheers

Comment

Is anyone able to provide an explanation of what a Meter Isolation Link is?

Comment

This from another old forum post seems like the reason:

"In Queensland a Meter Isolaton link is now required by law to protect the Linesmen from feed in from PV systems. If the power is turned off by them they still could be in trouble with the power coming the other way"

Comment

Originally posted by Bala View Post
                  This from another old forum post seems like the reason:

"In Queensland a Meter Isolaton link is now required by law to protect the Linesmen from feed in from PV systems. If the power is turned off by them they still could be in trouble with the power coming the other way"

All UL listed grid tie inverters are required to have programing so they will shut down and "isolate themselves" if the grid goes down. The specific reason was to insure the safety of the linesmen that are working on the grid so they could not be electrocuted by a "co-generating" pv system.

Comment

Working...
                  X