X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soul
    • Aug 2011

Question

Hi Everyone:
    I am a undergraduate student I have a question from my course solar energy. I needed help in the following question . The question is:
    Q. Calculate the thicknesses of silver and silicon that will absorb  95% of 600 nm light that enters the surface. Do the results have any implications for silicon based solar cells?
    I am using the formula I=Io * exp(-alpha*x)
    where I=intensity of light (I)at any distance (x) into the material
    and Io is the light intensity at the top surface

I calculated absorption coefficient(alpha) for silicon from the website http://www.cleanroom.byu.edu/OpticalCalc.phtml. and kept 'I' as 0.05 and Io as 1. and calculated x which came out to be 5.74 micrometer but I am not sure about the calculation and typically the solar cell has a thickness of 200 to 500 micrometer.

Please let me know if I am right or wrong.
  • russ
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jul 2009

Hi Soul - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Good luck with your project but I haven't got the foggiest idea. Doubt you will get many replies here as our members are generally oriented toward practical implementation and not the theory of solar PV.

Russ
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• soul
      • Aug 2011

Thanks

Originally posted by russ
      Hi Soul - Welcome to Solar Panel Talk!

Good luck with your project but I haven't got the foggiest idea. Doubt you will get many replies here as our members are generally oriented toward practical implementation and not the theory of solar PV.

Russ
      Thanks russ. My objective is: To obtain an Electrical Engineering integrating strong technical proficiency and contribute towards addressing the challenges of Global Warming by accomplishing energy efficient systems.
      I would be graduating after a year and would like to join a company which deals with renewable like solar. Can you suggest me a thread dealing with job prospective and if you can recommend me people with whom I can be in touch on linkedin or companies I sould follow. I really want to join in foirst solar as it is presented near my University.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Originally posted by soul
        ....My objective is: To obtain an Electrical Engineering integrating strong technical proficiency and contribute towards addressing the challenges of Global Warming by accomplishing energy efficient systems.....

Wow .. that is so green. Don't put all your eggs in one basket. Sadly, solar is going to be a dead end in that goal, as soon as the goverment funding fails. Solar heating (air, water, oil) is where the energy savings is, but it will still have to rely on something else as backup for cloudy days.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...