Is it feasible to install solar lights in the yard?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • 165748kk
    • Sep 2023

Is it feasible to install solar lights in the yard?

Hello everyone! I live in California, USA, and I am considering installing solar lights in my yard. Do any of you have any experience or suggestions?
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Yea, if you want something that lasts and is useful, run a 120V line and use regular illumination.
    More practical, longer lasting, easier to use, more choices of materials and more design flexibility. Also probably less expensive.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Originally posted by 165748kk
      Hello everyone! I live in California, USA, and I am considering installing solar lights in my yard. Do any of you have any experience or suggestions?
      Hi 165748kk. I have installed solar lighting on my walkways a few time. They barely last a year before they stop working. If you want long lasting yard lights then I would follow JPM's advice.

Comment

• Rade
        • Aug 2023

My husband LOVES his Dollar Tree solar lights. ...and you get what you pay for. I got a yard full of dead lights that either I will pull, breakdown (what can be recycled and what needs to go to the town battery box), or mow / snow-blow into oblivion...

The problem is that... no one seems to sell decent, beefy, replacable-battery solar lights any more. Even the ones at HD or Lowe's feel like they are made of really cheap plastic. Very much reminiscent of 1990's Malibu Lights.
        Rade Radosevich-Slay
        Tiverton, RI

Comment

• Yusen P
          • Mar 2024

Great option! California has plenty of sunshine, making it perfect for using solar lights. I have installed solar lights in my own yard and have been very satisfied with them for several years.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Yusen P
            Great option! California has plenty of sunshine, making it perfect for using solar lights. I have installed solar lights in my own yard and have been very satisfied with them for several years.
            Great to hear. What brand and where did you get those lights?

Comment

• Rowan Lane
              • Mar 2024

I think California is a good place to install some solar lights. I would suggest using a brand like Aootek or Baxia for its durability.

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Rowan Lane
                I think California is a good place to install some solar lights. I would suggest using a brand like Aootek or Baxia for its durability.
                I use the Aootek lights and have had better success then the multipak walkway yard lights. The problem is needing a place to attached the Aootek lights while the walkway light just go into the ground

Comment

• bcroe
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2012

I use 120V wired motion detector lights. I had 7 at the previous place,
                  you could walk around and never be in the dark, but almost always off
                  so the power used was in the noise. Also provide a surprise to anyone
                  who should not be there, I have good reason to believe they scared
                  some away, no proof.

Here 3 buildings spaced 250ft, I have 10 lights. They replaced an old
                  all night light that definitely showed up on the electric bill, but was
                  barely effective. I mount one detector near one light, so the detector
                  can easily be replaced when they fail, without bothering the setup of
                  the light. I do not use those 2 bulb + one det assemblies they sell.
                  Bruce Roe

Comment

• Yusen P
                    • Mar 2024

Originally posted by SunEagle

Great to hear. What brand and where did you get those lights?
                    I bought the solar lights in 2020. They are still working well now. The total price of the two lights was a bit expensive, about $150, and I bought them at my local hardware store. But I think it's worth it compared to replacing the solar lights every year. The brand name is ECOHOMLIGHT.

Comment

• 165748kk
                      • Sep 2023

I bought the solar lights in 2020. They are still working well now. The total price of the two lights was a bit expensive, about $150, and I bought them at my local hardware store. But I think it's worth it compared to replacing the solar lights every year. The brand name is ECOHOMLIGHT.
                      Thanks for sharing. I found them for sale online. What model did you buuy?

Comment

• sdold
                        • Jun 2014

Who/what/where are these guys? When I go to their website and click "About us", all I get is this nonsense:

"ECOHOMLIGHT: Where eco-conscious living meets the brilliance of solar lighting. We're not just a solar light company, we're a movement. We believe in harnessing the power of the sun to create beautiful, sustainable homes that shine both inside and out."

Is it even a real company?

Comment

• Yusen P
                          • Mar 2024

Originally posted by 165748kk

Thanks for sharing. I found them for sale online. What model did you buuy?
                          Great to hear. It's been so long. I think it should be this link. (link removed)

Mod edit: No links please. By the way I see there were messages posted on another solar forum recently advertising that brand, but they were deleted by the admin as spam. If you're thinking of doing that here, please don't. Thanks.
                          Last edited by sdold; 03-27-2024, 01:01 PM.

Comment

• Kim Scott
                            • Mar 2024

I have solar lights and I find it a great option since they're environmentally friendly and I can save on electricity cost.. However, I really made sure choosing high-quality lights with really good solar panels. Plus, I did consider the placement of the lights, made sure they receive sufficient sunlight during the day.

Comment

Working...