X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Fzx5v0
    • Mar 2024

New Solar Farm

HI
    A new solar far is proposed and the panwls will be about 300m away from my house. The transformer
    will be about 500m away

From my house I will not be able to see them as i am in a valley.

I am concerned about the noise from the invertors and the transformer

Will this be a problem? Or any other issue I should be concerned about.
  • J.P.M.
    Solar Fanatic
    • Aug 2013

Hard to say. The noise level at your house depends on several things known and more that are probably unknown at this point with one of them (the wind) being continuously variable.

Without knowing a lot more about the equipment, any measures such as containment around it to specifically reduce any (unknown at this point) noise generated by the equipment, and more particulars about the equipment's location relative to your home, and more about the things that may be between your home and the noise generating equipment, it's not possible to speculate about noise that makes it from any source to your home.

Because the noise level at any distance and vector from a noise source is very difficult to predict a priori, a common method of handling the noise generation problem is to add any noise abatement equipment such as walls or appropriate noise abatement measures as one of the final project milestones after most everything else has been installed and run. Noise levels are then measured at various locations both on and off the project site.
    Adjustments and measures are much more effective if/when done in that manner.

I'd get ahold of the folks building the plant and enquire as to what types of equipment are being installed and any anticipated sound attenuation measures or equipment they plan on installing and/or what measures they plan to take/use if the noise is deemed objectionable by the neighbors.

Comment

• bcroe
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jan 2012

The DC to AC inverters internally generate terrible radio frequency
      noise, which could interfere with other electronic devices. But good
      engineering practice can contain the noise within the inverter. My
      inverters do not radiate, yours are an unknown at this point.

Radio noise is more likely to be an issue with micro inverter systems,
      where with so many units, it is harder to provide noise filters for every
      one. And the locations make the entire panel array into an antenna.
      Bruce Roe

Comment

• Mike 134
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2022

Originally posted by Fzx5v0
        HI
        A new solar far is proposed and the panwls will be about 300m away from my house. The transformer
        will be about 500m away

From my house I will not be able to see them as i am in a valley.

I am concerned about the noise from the invertors and the transformer

Will this be a problem? Or any other issue I should be concerned about.
        I don't think anyone on this forum has experience with a large-scale utility solar farms in Europe. (guessing Europe because you mentioned distance in meters)

That said you likely have noise codes they would have to follow limiting the decibels that can be heard on the next property. Educated guess on my part from walking past large power transformers outside shopping centers you won't hear anything.

Comment

• Rade
          • Aug 2023

The only time our inverter and batteries seem to howl is when the system is running at peak and the cooling fans kick on. Otherwise, a nominal hum on occasion but not much more. .
          Rade Radosevich-Slay
          Tiverton, RI

Comment

Working...