Local Solar Repair Company Quote Scammy?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dbizzle22
    • Mar 2013

Local Solar Repair Company Quote Scammy?

I have 2 things I need to get done related to my existing 20 panel system.
    1. Panel removal/replacement cost: Replacing our 20 yr old roof soon that has 20 panels on it that are about 15 years old. Roofer says I need to remove/reinstall the panels for them to properly do the roof replacement. Does anyone have a rough idea on how much per panel I should be paying to remove/replace?
    2. Upgrade the built in micro inverters attached to my panels: 4.1kW Solar System with 20 SunPower SPR-240E-WHT-U-ACPV panels. They came with built in micro inverters on each panel. The monitoring system that worked with the micro inverters no longer works and there is no support or replacement easily found. Looking to replace them with modern-ish technology like Enphase products

A local solar repair company that's well reviewed on Yelp here in the San Francisco area quoted me the below. The hurry up and buy price tactic at the end threw me off though so I'm hoping people around here can guide me on whether this is a deal I should act on ASAP or just the standard price.

SCOPE OF WORK:
    We will remove all solar panels and any roof mounted electrical parts and we will have to replace ALL:
    1) roof mounts
    2) solar support rails (the solar panels sit on top of the support rails)
    3) panel retention clamps (they secure the panels to the rails and hold the panels in place)
    4) add internal bonding to the entire system (required to protect your home from electrical grounding issues)
    5) we will have to replace all roof mounted electrical infrastructure from the edge of the roof to the solar panels, including metal conduit, new wires and weather rated junction boxes.
    We charge $1,100 flat fee to remove the system and store the panels at your home in your yard or garage.
    2nd trip out is to reinstall the system and recommission it. This occurs after your roofer finishes completely and successfully passes the Building Department's final inspection. We charge $94 per roof mount and these charges include all parts, materials and labor outlined in our second and third trips to your home, as outlined above. Based upon your panel layout, 40 new construction mounts will be required to successfully reinstall your solar electric system.
    Total price:
    $1,500 (remove) + $3,760 (Reinstall) = $5,260
    SCOPE OF WORK:
    1. Remove old micro-inverters and old wiring
    2. Install new Micro-inverters and Enphase IQ Cables - Enphase IQ7PD-84
    3. Install Enphase IQ combiner box (specs attached) - Enphase IQ Combiner 4/4C
    4. Run 2 strings from the roof down to IQ combiner box
    5. Run a new point of connection from IQ combiner box to main electrical panel
    Cost:
    $249 per micro-inverter + $1,249 (to install IQ combiner Box) = $6,229
    Total:
    $5,260 (reroof) + $6,229 (Enphase Upgrade) = $11,489

If we can sign the contract before end of this year, we can offer a one time deal at the total cost of $7,947. I will email you our service agreement through adobe sign and the link will be active until 12/31 6:00pm.
  • organic farmer
    Solar Fanatic
    • Dec 2013

Your old system does not work. So you need to remove it, and replace with a completely new system. For $8,000 that sounds like a good deal.

With your application will this be a tax deduction?

4400w, Midnite Classic 150 charge-controller.

Comment

• dbizzle22
      • Mar 2013

Originally posted by organic farmer
      Your old system does not work. So you need to remove it, and replace with a completely new system. For $8,000 that sounds like a good deal.

With your application will this be a tax deduction?
      My old system doesn't work as in some of it doesn't work? System is generating 3.x kW on a sunny summer day still according to the meter.

$8k for a 20 piece micro inverter system and monitoring device is a good price? The 7 series and IQ4 are slightly dated at this point also right?

Comment

• Mike 134
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2022

As farmer said sounds like a fair price at 8K. Lots of markup if he can knock off almost $4K if you "buy now". Since your panels are 15 years old and are only 250 watts might want to look into new panels also. Seems prices are at or below 50 cents a watt now so a new 400watt panel would be $200. But new bigger panels might require permits.

Comment

• dbizzle22
          • Mar 2013

Originally posted by Mike 134
          As farmer said sounds like a fair price at 8K. Lots of markup if he can knock off almost $4K if you "buy now". Since your panels are 15 years old and are only 250 watts might want to look into new panels also. Seems prices are at or below 50 cents a watt now so a new 400watt panel would be $200. But new bigger panels might require permits.
          Would new panels mean that I'd lose my NEM 1.0 status?

Comment

• Mike 134
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2022

Originally posted by dbizzle22

I'm in Illinois have ZERO knowledge of other states and/or utilities rules.

Comment

• Ampster
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

That is a risk. I personally would take the risk but I would monitor my production to make sure my output does not exceed the AC capacity of the old system plus 1kW which is the amount that most NEM agreements allow for an increase. I would not call that quote scammy. Some installers are hungry for business.
              Last edited by Ampster; 12-30-2023, 06:50 PM.
              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• solardreamer
                Solar Fanatic
                • May 2015

The quote doesn't seem obviously scammy. The time scarcity tactic is typical and I wouldn't worry too much about it. Rooftop solar sales in California has dropped 60-80% since NEM3 started in Apr. So, lots of hungry solar installers now. You should definitely get multiple quotes.

Comment

• dbizzle22
                  • Mar 2013

Originally posted by solardreamer
                  The quote doesn't seem obviously scammy. The time scarcity tactic is typical and I wouldn't worry too much about it. Rooftop solar sales in California has dropped 60-80% since NEM3 started in Apr. So, lots of hungry solar installers now. You should definitely get multiple quotes.
                  Thanks. I'll just take my time shopping around. I may even try and get Sunpower to warranty any broken micro inverters or panels now. Problem with that is that I have to pay a company to come out and test the hardware. My monitoring device has been broken for years so I don't have that luxury of checking in with that system.

Any DIY tips for testing solar hardware with a multimeter?

Comment

• solardreamer
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • May 2015

Thanks. I'll just take my time shopping around. I may even try and get Sunpower to warranty any broken micro inverters or panels now. Problem with that is that I have to pay a company to come out and test the hardware. My monitoring device has been broken for years so I don't have that luxury of checking in with that system.

Any DIY tips for testing solar hardware with a multimeter?
                    With a clamp meter you can check to see how much current is flowing from the solar inverters.

Comment

Working...