Tilt system for my solar array

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Calsun
    • Oct 2022

The gain in tilting depends on the latitude of the location. My array is at 38 degrees north and I set the tilt angle for the framing to maximum production over a calendar year. Calculations showed a theoretical gain of 3-5 percent by adjusting the tilt during the year.

Solar panels can accept a lower incidence angle than one might expect and still produce their rated power output. California state has an online calculator that has inputs for panel type and inverter type and latitude and one can determine the optimum angle for output during the winter months or the summer months or for year round output with a single tilt angle.

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Calsun
      The gain in tilting depends on the latitude of the location. My array is at 38 degrees north and I set the tilt angle for the framing to maximum production over a calendar year. Calculations showed a theoretical gain of 3-5 percent by adjusting the tilt during the year.

Solar panels can accept a lower incidence angle than one might expect and still produce their rated power output. California state has an online calculator that has inputs for panel type and inverter type and latitude and one can determine the optimum angle for output during the winter months or the summer months or for year round output with a single tilt angle.
      PVWatts (or SAM for more input) will produce similar results.

Comment

• azdave
        • Oct 2014

Originally posted by wiperhunter
        After all your comments I think I've decided to just tilt that bottom one and add two more onto my array...
        Best decision for your situation.

Dave W. Gilbert AZ
        6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

Working...