Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kellysguy
    • Nov 2011

Completely Lost

So 13 years later I finally have a system….for the most part…..I think.

Long story short; I have 48 panels (30- 36v/185w; 20-36v/190w) around 40 or so optimizers, mounting hardware, a 5000w solar inverter, some wiring and absolutely NO idea what I’m doing.

All of these components came off the same system which probably had over 300 panels. I *should* have enough to make a 5k system. Everything supposedly worked when removed. They all came off a federal building that was getting a new roof and these weren’t hinge to be put back up. They are supposedly 10 years old but some look older than that; I’d say 20.

Yes I know it would be “easier” to start off with new stuff but that’s not where I’m at right now.

I got a great deal on everything so I’m using this opportunity to learn about solar and maybe put a 5k system on my house. I’d like to build something around 2-3k for a camper or small building. House system would be ground mount. I’d like to start with a coupe of panels and work my way up. (I have a 1500w inverter in my van right now to run my coffee pot and microwave. (600w/700w)

The first thing I need to know is did I post this in the correct forum?

Where should I start reading; what books should I get?

What all do I have and how do I test it?

I want to start with just a couple of panels just to learn and then add others as I learn. My comprehension isn’t what it used to be due to medical problems but I can follow instructions pretty well. I want to learn as much as I can but some things are now beyond my current abilities.

I really appreciate everyone’s help as I wouldn’t be able to do this without you guys. This is a bucket list thing that’s been a long time coming.

Thanks in advance for everyone’s help. I’ll post up specs when I get a chance.

Thanks
    Last edited by kellysguy; 11-19-2022, 12:00 AM. Reason: Post got cut in half
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Sadly I can say depending on where you live if you want the system to be grid tied your POCO and AHJ may want a lot of drawings of the final system. The POCO may also not allow you to install a partial system and then grow it so you will have to ask for detail.

And finally performing a DIY installation may save you money but also include a lot of headaches again depending on where you live. Also due to the system being used the US will probably not give you any rebate on your taxes to bring the cost down.

So before you learn about what you need to do you also have to find out from the local authority and POCO what you can do.

Comment

• solarix
      Super Moderator
      • Apr 2015

Sadly, most Utilities require only the use of new equipment when interconnecting a grid-tied type solar system to the grid.
      Yes, Virginia - there is no free lunch.....
      BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• kellysguy
        • Nov 2011

I’m out in the country and things are really lax around here. I don’t need a permit here and I’m not worried about a tax credit. The money has already been spent and something is going to be built. I have to start off small with just some type of non permanent system just to get my feet wet. Think of it as a retirement project/experiment.

I’m not sure if I want to grid tie or not yet. I don’t want a battery bank or anything complex. I was thinking of using the system by itself to run a window unit upstairs during the day. (We have way more summer than winter here.) If I did that nobody would ever know and quite frankly, I don’t think they would care either way.

I’m building “something” will all of this stuff. Where it’s gonna live isn’t really a concern till I can figure out exactly what all I have and what it can feed. I have a storage container that was an art studio that I had power run to but I had it turned off. I may run that or build a camper van with this stuff.

I get that there’s a lot of headaches but this is a learning experience.

What’s some good reading material to get me up to speed?

Thanks again for your help.
        Last edited by kellysguy; 11-19-2022, 11:49 AM.

Comment

• SunEagle
          Super Moderator
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by kellysguy
          I’m out in the country and things are really lax around here. I don’t need a permit here and I’m not worried about a tax credit. The money has already been spent and something is going to be built. I have to start off small with just some type of non permanent system just to get my feet wet. Think of it as a retirement project/experiment.

I’m not sure if I want to grid tie or not yet. I don’t want a battery bank or anything complex. I was thinking of using the system by itself to run a window unit upstairs during the day. (We have way more summer than winter here.) If I did that nobody would ever know and quite frankly, I don’t think they would care either way.

I’m building “something” will all of this stuff. Where it’s gonna live isn’t really a concern till I can figure out exactly what all I have and what it can feed. I have a storage container that was an art studio that I had power run to but I had it turned off. I may run that or build a camper van with this stuff.

I get that there’s a lot of headaches but this is a learning experience.

What’s some good reading material to get me up to speed?

Thanks again for your help.
          Well depending on the type of your inverter you will need either to connect it to the grid or a battery. Otherwise most inverters will not work unless they are satisfied by whatever electrical source they need to start up with.

Comment

• kellysguy
            • Nov 2011

When you say, “a battery”; can I get away with just one to start it or does it have to have a full bank to match?

thanks

Comment

• littleharbor2
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2016

Nearly every time the go to book is solar for dummies. Free online version available. A bit dated but still usefull. That being said I think your best bet with this solar equipment may be an off grid system.
              2 Kw PV Classic 200, Trace SW 4024 460ah,

Comment

• SunEagle
                Super Moderator
                • Oct 2012

When you say, “a battery”; can I get away with just one to start it or does it have to have a full bank to match?

thanks
                Again it depends on the inverter. Unless it is a hybrid then a battery will not work.

Based on what you stated in your first post it sounds like a grid tie type inverter. But if you give us the specs we might help you.

Comment

• kellysguy
                  • Nov 2011

Originally posted by SunEagle

. But if you give us the specs we might help you.
                  I will as soon as I can. I thought I had pics of all of the labels in my phone but I don’t. I was supposed to leave for a trip yesterday but hit some major snags. I’m in the middle of an emergency brake job so I haven’t had time to get any info for you guys yet. I hope to have it finished up tomorrow morning and will be leaving immediately afterwards. I might not have a chance till I get back.

Comment

• kellysguy
                    • Nov 2011

Going from memory (which isn’t great) I’m 95% sure this it it. (But I don’t remember the “A”).

https://www.solarelectricsupply.com/...se5000a-us-510

I have about 40 of these:

and maybe 8 of these;

Last edited by kellysguy; 11-20-2022, 02:38 AM.

Comment

• SunEagle
                      Super Moderator
                      • Oct 2012

Going from memory (which isn’t great) I’m 95% sure this it it. (But I don’t remember the “A”).

https://www.solarelectricsupply.com/...se5000a-us-510

I have about 40 of these:

and maybe 8 of these;

Well it looks like you have a grid tied inverter so you will need some type of agreement with your POCO to get it installed and working.

Comment

• kellysguy
                        • Nov 2011

What can I do with these now as a small project? I’d like to take one or two panels and make something I can charge a 12v battery with. These are the panels I have. I’m looking for a decent, inexpensive charge controller just to play arround with for now. I have a 1500w inverter already. Thanks again.

Comment

• SunEagle
                          Super Moderator
                          • Oct 2012

What can I do with these now as a small project? I’d like to take one or two panels and make something I can charge a 12v battery with. These are the panels I have. I’m looking for a decent, inexpensive charge controller just to play arround with for now. I have a 1500w inverter already. Thanks again.

https://www.pvxchange.com/Solar-Modu...-MJB_1-2106419
                          With a single panel that can provide about 5 amps then I feel you will need at least a 15 amp PMW type CC. They are pretty cheap and while not very efficient one of those and 2 panels should be able to charge about a 100 Ah battery.

If you use more then 2 panels you will also need a fused combiner box and your efficiency goes down by 33% since a PWM type CC loses panel wattage.

Comment

• kellysguy
                            • Nov 2011

I don’t want anything bigger than two panels for right now. I keep my diesel parked most of the time due to fuel costs and the batteries go down a little too much over time. I’d like something to kelp them up without too much trouble using what I already have.

Thanks Sun Eagle, is there one you have in mind? The ones I’ve been looking at seem that you can use 36v panels but only for a 24v setup.

Comment

• SunEagle
                              Super Moderator
                              • Oct 2012

I don’t want anything bigger than two panels for right now. I keep my diesel parked most of the time due to fuel costs and the batteries go down a little too much over time. I’d like something to kelp them up without too much trouble using what I already have.

Thanks Sun Eagle, is there one you have in mind? The ones I’ve been looking at seem that you can use 36v panels but only for a 24v setup.
                              There are a lot of cheap 15 amp PWM type charge controllers to chose from so it really comes down to what you can get.

Don't be confused with the ones that are inexpensive and say they are MPPT because they are not. A true MPPT will cost over $200 and a cheap 15 amp PWM type will be around $20 to $30. Since your system is small and pretty much a throw away I would go cheap but expect the CC not to last long. If you want longevity then you will have to spend a lot more.

Oh and that 1500watt inverter will drain your batteries even if nothing is turned on. Most inverters consume about 10% of their rated wattage just being turned on so make sure you turn it off when not running any loads.

Comment

Working...