• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • peakbagger
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2010

Tesla stops scheduling solar roof installations

Tesla stops scheduling solar roof installations in most markets - Electrek

Interesting that they are moving the crews to install conventional panels. They reported were using the solar roof contact info to bait and switch customers to conventional systems anyhow. I wonder if the slowdown means they will have the opportunity to jack up the price of the solar roofs like they did awhile back.
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by peakbagger
    Tesla stops scheduling solar roof installations in most markets - Electrek

Interesting that they are moving the crews to install conventional panels. They reported were using the solar roof contact info to bait and switch customers to conventional systems anyhow. I wonder if the slowdown means they will have the opportunity to jack up the price of the solar roofs like they did awhile back.
    Or they figured that their solar roofs will not last as well as the regular panels so they shifted their attention back to the panel installation.

Comment

• peakbagger
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jun 2010

I have been a skeptic since early on. Musk oversold them since day one, his fans just ignore when his claims are BS. At least they finally gave up the pretense that the Tesla Solar Roof is actually a roof that keeps the rain out. They now install a full waterproof membrane under the panel install. The panels and the dummy panels are just acting as UV protection to the membrane. I am not that worried about the actual "silicon panels" as much as the plastic carriers that they snap into. My guess is the silicon parts will hold up for a long time possibly longer than standard encapsulated panels but they will end up on the ground as the plasticizers are "cooked" out if the carriers due to very high roof temps. Snap in type systems just do not last well as the depend on the plastic to stay in the plastic range of the material and that plastic window tends to shrink as it ages. Once out of the plastic range, the tension holding things together just goes away as the plastic fails.

I do think there is niche architectural market for high end homes and businesses for these systems, but trying to drive the price down to make it competitive on standard homes is just not going to work. The reality is unless someone is building a multigenerational compound, no one really needs or wants a lifetime roof as the typical homeowner switches homes well withing the life of a typical 30 year roof.

Comment

Working...