No announcement yet.

Buying a house with an outback system.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying a house with an outback system.

Hi,
    first post here so forgive my ignorance.
    I am buying a house from an estate of a person that passed away and no one on the side of the estate knows anything about the system.
    From what I gathered it's the 8kw radian system with the load center and 2 flexmax charge control and the mate3s
    ​​​​​With an aquion battery pack
    From what I gather from the pictures in the link below there is an 8 stack and 18 stacks in parallel so about 39.6kwh 825AH?

​​​​​​I have a screen shot of the top flexmax screen and you can zoom on the buttom one to see what it says

Any info you guys can provide and what do you think a system like that can sustain would be great

The system is a little less then 4yrs old
    ​​
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folde...ABwNzAR_4KLLVJ
    Last edited by alonad; 07-02-2022, 11:03 PM.

Ignorance does not require requests for forgiveness or require apologies.

Welcome to the neighborhood.

Often, installed equipment has tags, strickers or identifying information about the vendor who did the installation. Snoop around and see what names you can uncover. Then, call those names and ask for any info they have or any help they can provide. Expect to pay for it.

Or, you can likely glean a serial number or two off the various equipment and see if the mfg. can trace who they sold that particular equipment to.
    It's a bit of detective work but probably your best chance of finding what you need, both in the way of information and assistance in operations.

Good luck.

Comment

I agree with JPM. Don't beat yourself up if you are inquisitive of an existing solar system.

Hopefully the manufacturer will have more information about the equipment and how it is supposed to perform.

Comment

Outback makes good equipment with great support. They maintain a user forum also, I have had Outback equipment for seven years.You can probably download a manual from the support page. The Mate should provide information from its various screens.

Aquion is a salt water technology. It recently emerged from bankruptcy so you may be able to get some information from them.
        You described the 8 kW capacity of the inverter, The two unknown questions are the capacity of the solar panels in kW and the battery capacity in kWh. Typically the solar panels have a label on the back that may tell you something or the two flexmax controllers may give you a rough estimate of the capacity. Perhaps the batteries have a label that describes capacity in kWh. I did not see any in the pictures posted.
        NOTE: I did not initially see the 39 kWh capacity which is a good sized battery.
        Last edited by Ampster; 07-03-2022, 02:08 PM.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
          Outback makes good equipment with great support. They maintain a user forum also, I have had Outback equipment for seven years.You can probably download a manual from the support page. The Mate should provide information from its various screens.

Aquion is a salt water technology. It recently emerged from bankruptcy so you may be able to get some information from them.
          You described the 8 kW capacity of the inverter, The two unknown questions are the capacity of the solar panels in kW and the battery capacity in kWh. Typically the solar panels have a label on the back that may tell you something or the two flexmax controllers may give you a rough estimate of the capacity. Perhaps the batteries have a label that describes capacity in kWh. I did not see any in the pictures posted.
          Thank for the responses!
          So I Googled aquion batteries that's how got to the 39.6kwh,amd 825AH but not from website as it seems to be missing alot of pages. Anyome knows how I get in touch with them?
          ​​​

Comment

I would not hold out much hope for Aquion batteries. Possibly a good idea but they rushed them to market and they were not ready for prime time.

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post
              I would not hold out much hope for Aquion batteries. Possibly a good idea but they rushed them to market and they were not ready for prime time.
              I have read about that battery being used in places like Hawaii which failed in less then a year after being installed. I have also read that the manufacturer is no long making those batteries due to their high failure rate. Of course what can be read on the internet may be false

Comment

Originally posted by SunEagle View Post

I have read about that battery being used in places like Hawaii which failed in less then a year after being installed. I have also read that the manufacturer is no long making those batteries due to their high failure rate. Of course what can be read on the internet may be false
                The house I am buying is in hawaii and it looks like so far the battaries are fine.. But I am already looking at replacements.
                Any opinions on the eg4-ll or big battery with the outback radian or in general?

Comment

Originally posted by alonad View Post

The house I am buying is in hawaii and it looks like so far the battaries are fine.. But I am already looking at replacements.
                  Any opinions on the eg4-ll or big battery with the outback radian or in general?
                  I don't have either. Some users on another forum have had good luck with EG4. I have not heard good things about Big Battery. The CEO has been in trouble on prior ventures.
                  9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...
                  X