Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gfruge
    • May 2021

Clarification on adding panels

Call me whatever you’d like, but I need some clarification.

Back in September of this past year, we installed a grid tied system to our home. However, I’ve been looking into other alternative ways to generate electricity to store to those unfavorable days. I’ve checked wind and hydro, but it just doesn’t seem to generate enough or not cost effective. With either system, I’d need to add a charge controller to charge the batteries with either.

The system I bought can only have 6,000 watts of panels. We purchased 10 530 watt panels. So, we’re at 5,300 watts worth. The guy that sold me the system at the time told me that I could technically add 2 more of those 530 watt panels and still be good though it’s 6,360 watts worth. So, pending with him is to buy 2 more panels and 1 more 48v 125ah battery. This will make 3 batteries total. So it seemed like a dead end on production and storage.

Here’s where I need clarification. With the other systems, I’d have to add a charge controller and the energy produced is limited to the charge controller.

So in essence, I could add as many solar panels as I desire as long as I don’t over-do the charge controller? The inverter will only supply up to the 6kw that I need, but aside from that, I could do as many charge controllers to the batteries and as many panels as I want? Is this how it works?
Working...