Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Gfruge
    • May 2021

Supplement solar system with wind turbine

So, I’ve had my system up and running for 9-10 months. I live on the side of a mountain and started researching hydro and wind turbines lately to supplement the system, especially at night. I reached out to the company that I purchased the system from and he doesn’t recommend supplementing. Sounded kinda fishy to me, so I’m posting here to get input.

My system includes:

1 - Growatt 6kw hybrid inverter (grid tied)
    10 - 530 watt solar panels
    2 - lithium batteries max 51.2v (6.4kWh) 3k cycles

I do have plans to purchase another battery and 2 more panels soon to max out the solar side.

Your opinions please.

My main concern is that living in the mountains, we have days with lots of rain and other days with lots of fog. If the sun is good and batteries charge to 99%, the batteries only drop to 40-45% at night before they start recharging. Though I have a creek on my property, I don’t have enough water flow to do hydro. So, I’m researching wind, because we usually have a constant breeze and it does gust up often.

If you do suggest wind turbines, what size and make? And what or how would you suggest to tie into my current system?

Thanks in advance
  • peakbagger
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2010

Sorry to bust your bubble but there really are no small wind turbines that are worth installing. The upfront capital cost to do it right just overwhelms any production. Towers have to be quite high to avoid ground turbulence. Unless you are in an unusually windy area with consistent wind they are more like moving kinetic sculptures than generators. If you really want small wind and are willing to climb the tower every few years to do maintenance, the old Jacobs systems seem to be able to be rebuilt forever. They cant overcome physics but for a close to 100 year old design they were pretty good at grabbing what wind was available.

Many firms have tried to come up with an affordable small wind turbine. The best was probably a Northwind HR3 long since out of production by a bankrupt company.

Comment

Working...