Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iron ridge clay tiles

Hi,

What are people's (preferably installers) thoughts on ironridge racking for spanish clay tiles versus "comp-out" technique? Difference in cost is around 3500...

TIA

Originally posted by homer77 View Post
    Hi,

What are people's (preferably installers) thoughts on ironridge racking for spanish clay tiles versus "comp-out" technique? Difference in cost is around 3500...

TIA
    Ask the installers and they'll almost universally tell you it's a good idea and they always do it. They say that because it makes their lives easier and the jobs more profitable. It add no value for the homeowner and only costs money and adds increased probability of problems down the road.

This topic has been the subject of maybe a dozen or so threads around here over the last few years. The latest one a couple of months ago.
    Replacing clay or concrete tiles with composition shingles under and array is unnecessary and a bad idea and more than a waste of money.
    Doing so makes an installer's job easier while making the job more expensive and only creates potential problems for the homeowner moving forward.
    The added rub to creating potential problems is that the extra charge only adds insult to injury.

BTW, if your installer comes back and says panels cannot be installed on clay mission tiles or concrete tiles, (s)he's uninformed.
    There are no composition roofs in my HOA of ~ 550 single family homes.
    All roofs are either mission tile or concrete tile.
    Composition shingles are specifically disallowed by the CC & R's Architectural Guidelines.
    Replacing clay or mission tiles with composition tiles under PV arrays is specifically disallowed under the Architectural Guidelines.

There are > 150PV array on roofs in my HOA and none of them have comp. shingles under them.
    Most installers bitched and moaned but find a way to do what every other installer has done.
    Also, the install time does not seem to be affected by the presence of flat or clay mission style roofs. Just some extra care and the removal and replacement of some tiles before/during/after array installation.

As for costs to homeowners, and admittedly somewhat anecdotally, while it was still around the CA solar initiative data set showed that jobs sold in this HOA were no more expensive per installed STC W than others in north San Diego county, with a lot of those other CSI listed jobs most likely done over comp. shingled roofs.

Comment

thank you for the info...
      All quotes here in Socal that i have received have been for comp-out except for 2 which use either https://www.prosolar.com/tiletrac or iron guard
      I have no HOA
      I am bit surprised that even in Socal where most houses have clay tiles... most installers still prefer "comp-out"

I am unable to attach a pic of my tiles here

Comment

any recommended solar installers in SoCal who can install directly on clay tile roofs?

Comment

ok so two quotes...

1) 6.8 kW - 17 REC 400A panels, IQ8+ for $19000 - using ironridge S shaped hooks for clay tiles and EV charger - appx 2.8/watt

2) 5.55KW - 15 LG 370 panels, iQ8+ for $18000 - using comp out method and EV charger - appx $3.24/watt

I think I am going to go with #1

Comment

Originally posted by homer77 View Post
            ok so two quotes...

1) 6.8 kW - 17 REC 400A panels, IQ8+ for $19000 - using ironridge S shaped hooks for clay tiles and EV charger - appx 2.8/watt

2) 5.55KW - 15 LG 370 panels, iQ8+ for $18000 - using comp out method and EV charger - appx $3.24/watt

I think I am going to go with #1
            FWIW, I'd not use the S hooks. They put the array too close to the roof with all those associated problems plus increased probability of tile breakage from wind vibration and the hook moment arm flexure that you'll never see much less be able to get at. Posts and double flashing are a much better way to go. That's what about half the arrays in my HOA that are over mission clay tiles used. I don't know the breakage rate from wind induced vibration on the S hook jobs - only that we have no real wind around here.

On # 2, LG made a lot of good panels but they are out of the panel business this year making anything sold with LG panels an orphan at birth.

Comment

Working...
            X