Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • slinthicum
    • Apr 2022

Clean Energy Alliance -- Impact on Customers with Solar Systems

The city where I live (Oceanside, CA) made a decision last week to join the Clean Energy Alliance. Frankly, I'm not sure how that will play out but it appears to allow me to make a decision on my electrical supplier (not the delivery service that will remain with SDG&E). Does anyone know what will be the impact for current SDG&E customers with solar systems?
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by slinthicum
    The city where I live (Oceanside, CA) made a decision last week to join the Clean Energy Alliance. Frankly, I'm not sure how that will play out but it appears to allow me to make a decision on my electrical supplier (not the delivery service that will remain with SDG&E). Does anyone know what will be the impact for current SDG&E customers with solar systems?
    Clean Energy Alliance is a CCA {Community Choice Aggregator). CCAs are a result of deregulation and offer many benefits.
    I am in PGE and served by them and Sonoma Clean Power another CCA. Most CCAs leave the majority of the terms of each tariff the same, They adjust the rate for generation and may pay a little more at true up for overgeneration. They do not affect the terms of your Net Energy Metering agreement with SDGE. I do not know the specifics of Clean Energy Alliances policies but the impact should be insignificant and other benefits may be greater. For example I received an EV charging station at a significant discount when purchased through SCP and if I connected it to the Internet and let SCP turn it off when the grid was stressed, I received a monthly credit on my bill.

When I lived in Southern California I was involved in and attended many of the meetings that formed the largest CCA, Clean Power Alliance. I believe CCAs are an important part of deregulation and put pressure on the Investor Owned Utilities to price generation at a fair rate.
    Last edited by Ampster; 06-14-2022, 06:35 PM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• slinthicum
      • Apr 2022

Thanks Ampster. There is a comparison on the Clean Energy Alliance website (see image below) that details comparison between the CEA and SDGE rates for EV02. There is a relatively minor saving with CEA's 50% clean energy structure and SDGE's 31% clean energy structure. What are your thoughts about signing up for the CEA 50% vs. 100%, and why is the SDGE 100% ridiculously high?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1vYK...ew?usp=sharing
      Last edited by slinthicum; 06-14-2022, 10:55 PM.

Comment

• RichardCullip
        Solar Fanatic
        • Oct 2019

Note that if you have solar you will be put on the Clean Energy Alliance Personal Impact program. (You can opt out and stay on SDG&E if desired) Clean Energy Alliance currents pays a bit more (a few cents) than SDG&E for excess kWh of production come true-up time.

from the Clean Energy Alliance website:

Personal Impact customers whose system has generated more electricity than the customer used, on a kilowatt-hour basis, during the 12-month relevant period are eligible to receive Net Surplus Compensation, currently set at $.06 per kilowatt-hour for Net Excess Generation.

Personal Impact is available for customers who generate their own solar or wind power and want to offset their energy costs by selling excess energy produced to Clean Energy Alliance (CEA).  With Personal Impact, customers will receive a credit on their energy bill for

Comment

• Ampster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2017

Originally posted by slinthicum
          .......What are your thoughts about signing up for the CEA 50% vs. 100%, and why is the SDGE 100% ridiculously high?
          The cost of renewable energy has come down and since the CCAs are new to the marketplace they can buy less expensively. Even though the IOUs are not allowed to profit from selling generation that they purchase, they are allowed to apply overhead and their overhead is significantly higher than the CCAs. The CCAs are non profit entities and are not governed by the CPUC. Their board members are elected officials from the communities they serve.

I have opted into SCPs 100% Green energy because I drive two EVs and I want to support this aspect of deregulation. It is not a significant difference to me but I enjoy knowing the power is generated locally even though the electrons never actually go to my home from the solar panels and geothermal plants near in my part of the state.
          Last edited by Ampster; 06-15-2022, 11:10 AM.
          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• PVAndy
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2014

"When I lived in Southern California I was involved in and attended many of the meetings that formed the largest CCA, Clean Power Alliance. I believe CCAs are an important part of deregulation and put pressure on the Investor Owned Utilities to price generation at a fair rate"

In Conn where I live the Investor Owned Utilities have to pass the cost of electricity on to customers at cost. They make profits on Transmission.. Under the new tariff which went into effect on Jan 1 2022 when you choose the Netting option, you net meter during the month and if you have any surplus export you are compensated at full retail including taxes in dollars at the end of each month as an on bill credit. In Eversource territory you also receive approx a 3 cent per kwh REC credit in the form of a check every 3 months.

The other option is not to net meter but export all to the grid. This is called Buy All and you receive approx 29 cents per kWh for 20 years plus the REC credit.

Andy

Comment

Working...