Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Kev
    • Jul 2015

California About to Revisit NEM 3.0

Article in the OC Register about Net Metering changes in California. Hope my systems gets PTO before changes are made.

• Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Kev
    Article in the OC Register about Net Metering changes in California. Hope my systems gets PTO before changes are made.
    I had a hard time navigating the requests for payments on that link. Here is a link to SolarRights Alliance that has a perspective from the standpoint of solar users:
    The utilities are working to make it impossible for everyday Californians to get solar Tell your state legislators: Stand up to the utilities and keep

One of the articles I read said the proposed fee based on what your panels generate is like charging people for drying their clothes on a clothes line instead of using a dryer.

9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• J.P.M.
      Solar Fanatic
      • Aug 2013

Changes are not happening until the CPUC votes.
      Changes will probably happen but these things happen several times/year.
      It's just the way the process works.
      Last time NEM 1.0 user benefits and rules were getting the axe. Now it's 15 years from PTO.
      The chicken littles come out every time some rag sees a story.
      Nothing much new here that wasn't proposed last time about 3 months ago or 3 months before that except a few details.
      t's just the way the process works.
      Stay informed but know that it's business as usual.
      But also know that MEM as we know it has an expiration date yet to be determined.

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

The discussion of NEM 3.0, is only the second such exercise I have seen since my first NEM 1.0 system in 2012. However as JPM pointed out rates change as often as every six months. The rate changes and the time periods for TOU rate periods have also eroded the benefits of Net Energy Metering in California. So it has been an ongoing process.
        The trends are clear to me so my energies are directed toward evolving my system to hedge against further erosion of benefits. In that regard I have invested in a hybrid inverter and batteries installed behind the meter. My current Grid Tie system PTO was issued in October 2021 and is the only system my power company is aware of since the hybrid inverter is behind the meter and its output is only used to offset consumption. My first GT system was installed concurrent with my first purchase of an EV and the EV has been helpful to allow me to adjust my strategy as NEM and rates have changed. For example, I used to exclusively charge my EVs at night at super off peak rates. Now with Non Bypassable Charges and a lower spread between Peak and non Peak rates is is often more economical to charge my EVs from solar during the low rate period of the day.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• J.P.M.
          Solar Fanatic
          • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Ampster
          The discussion of NEM 3.0, is only the second such exercise I have seen since my first NEM 1.0 system in 2012. However as JPM pointed out rates change as often as every six months. The rate changes and the time periods for TOU rate periods have also eroded the benefits of Net Energy Metering in California. So it has been an ongoing process.
          The trends are clear to me so my energies are directed toward evolving my system to hedge against further erosion of benefits. In that regard I have invested in a hybrid inverter and batteries installed behind the meter. My current Grid Tie system PTO was issued in October 2021 and is the only system my power company is aware of since the hybrid inverter is behind the meter and its output is only used to offset consumption. My first GT system was installed concurrent with my first purchase of an EV and the EV has been helpful to allow me to adjust my strategy as NEM and rates have changed. For example, I used to exclusively charge my EVs at night at super off peak rates. Now with Non Bypassable Charges and a lower spread between Peak and non Peak rates is is often more economical to charge my EVs from solar during the low rate period of the day.
          I'm not disagreeing with your opinions or observations but a thought crossed my mind as I read your comments and your actions which are probably somewhat typical about how what seems to me has been the side show of PV systems owners' adjustments and ways of gaming the system ever since NEM came on the scene with most of the jockeying having the end goal of not having, or at least minimizing, an electric bill.

I would note however that tweaks to NEM by the CPUC have happened since it came into being. Most were minor and didn't incite panic, mostly or probably because they were minor adjustments so the green mafia/tree huggers couldn't get much traction from them or incite panic in users.

I live in inland north county San Diego (zip 92026). The summers are quite warm with a cooling DD number of about 1,600 - 1,800 to a 65 F. base, with usually cool summer evenings. The average kWh/yr. electric usage of a home in my 550 home HOA is about 16,000 to 18,000 kWh/yr. The average size home is ~ 2,400 - 2,600 ft/^2. Most were built in the '80's and have had few energy conservation improvements beyond the marginal improvement feel good stuff of changing out a few lightbulbs. About 60-70% of the folks in the HOA are retired. Most homes are occupied by 2 people over 65, Just like my home.

My average annual electric usage since the 2005 move in is 7,247 kWh/yr. total electric load before PV contribution. The home size is 3,247 ft^2 and was built in 1980. It has conservation features common to homes built at the time but nothing drastic and not much more than standard stuff. I replaced 2 leaky windows on move in. I've tightened the place up quite a bit and monitor and record usage on a daily or more often basis. The HVAC is 5 ton, draws 5 running kW and has a design and actual, measured/calculated operating C.O.P. of about 3.0, less adjustment of 847 W load for the air handler. The HVAC was installed in 2000. It uses, on average ~ 1011 kWh/yr of the total annual average house electric load and draws 6 kW when operating, exclusive of startup. by way of some comparison, the fridge primary fridge takes 693 kWh/yr. on average and it's 21 years old.. The highest year's A/C electrical use was 1,396 kWh. the lowest 645 kWh. I keep the house comfortable for me, 78 F max., 66 F min. I'm not cold in the winter nor am I overly warm in the summer.

I'm using the above as only an example of an unspoken, or at least underspoken and underutilized but what I feel is a powerful tool that's rarely used - that is, simply not using electricity in such profligate ways, or at least doing the simple, no/low cost stuff before throwing complicated and expensive (by comparison) solutions at the situation.

What I'm attempting to point out by example is the lower cost and lower hassle of using simple methods first and the costly complicated stuff after that. I'm only comparing others' usage in my HOA to mine to describe the relative levels to which electric energy usage can be reduced to with a mind toward eliminating non essential use rather than throwing poorly understood (by the user) and perhaps unnecessary technology (and $$s) at a problem before doing the simple, no brainer stuff in the effort to minimize an electric bill.

Comment

Working...