Victron SmartShunt

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ShedPower
    • Apr 2022

Thanks, I’ll have a look on Amazon for something.

Comment

• ShedPower
      • Apr 2022

Another question. I want to run some appliances on solar during the day but switch back to the grid at night. Is there a way of doing that automatically with some kind of a timer or something? Thanks.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by ShedPower
        Another question. I want to run some appliances on solar during the day but switch back to the grid at night. Is there a way of doing that automatically with some kind of a timer or something? Thanks.
        A timer is not enough. What if the sun is not out during the day when it was yesterday? I would think that if you want to run your loads while the sun is out then you would need something to tell your equipment that it can run on solar and not on the grid.

IMO that is wishful thinking and dangerous if your loads do not like intermittent sunlight to run because they will be starting and stopping a lot. I would think that you want some type of energy storage system fed by the solar panels to run your equipment which again IMO is the grid.

Comment

• ShedPower
          • Apr 2022

I’ve g on t an automatic transfer switch which would switch back to the grid anyway when the battery voltage dropped to eg 12.2v so I’m not worried about the sun being as strong one day as another; I think that base is covered. But in the evening / night I’d just like some appliances on grid. Just prefer an automated way of that happening.

Comment

• SunEagle
            Super Moderator
            • Oct 2012

I’ve g on t an automatic transfer switch which would switch back to the grid anyway when the battery voltage dropped to eg 12.2v so I’m not worried about the sun being as strong one day as another; I think that base is covered. But in the evening / night I’d just like some appliances on grid. Just prefer an automated way of that happening.
            You might need transfer switches for each load and a timer that activates them. Just remember that the sun goes down at different times during the year so unless you wait until it is night to run those loads your timer will have to change with the seasons.

Comment

• Bala
              Solar Fanatic
              • Dec 2010

I have a water pump on a plug in 240v timer to come on for a set period each day. But switching is also controlled by input from one of my solar charge controllers with parameters set to ensure that absorb v has been achieved and it then has a lvd point. It also has time delay to allow for v sag on start up.

Only the 240v timer and solar controller are off the shelf. I then have a 24/240 relay and a 240v contactor.

If using v as a change over setting the change over system needs have time delay to allow for voltage sa when motors start.

Comment

• ShedPower
                • Apr 2022

Sounds a bit outside my limited skill set. (My main skill is cake eating, Solar is just a hobby). I’m wondering if there is a timer transfer switch out there somewhere.

Comment

• SunEagle
                  Super Moderator
                  • Oct 2012

Sounds a bit outside my limited skill set. (My main skill is cake eating, Solar is just a hobby). I’m wondering if there is a timer transfer switch out there somewhere.
                  There are some industrial transfer switches that include a timing device. But again quality equipment comes with a price tag. Maybe look into a single phase unit made be ASCO or some other transfer switch company.

Comment

• ShedPower
                    • Apr 2022

Roof_tiles.jpegAnother question. I want to put some solar panels on my house roof (actually an extension I built), can anyone tell me what type of roof hook brackets I need for the kind of roof tiles I have. (see picture). If you can give a link to something that would be great. Many thanks.

Comment

Working...