X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • arf88
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2017

SCE Forfeited Generation

This is the second month in a row i have received my Edison bill where it has stated I have Forfeited Generation.

I'm on TOU-D-A, i called edison and was told by the rep it is an error and there is no cap on generation. I figured okay i should not see this. Well i saw it again on my current bill. Called yesterday and was told yes it is an error. Not feeling confident this is really an error i called again today and the rep said she could not find anything in writing but her supervisor told her b/c I have tesla powerwall batteries there is some rules and there is a cap and I will need to call the NEM support number to find out what that is.

I'm oversized b/c i'm going electric so I figure at worst I've forfeited these 2 months but once i charge overnight that should help offset anything if it is in fact not an error.

Curious if anyone else has gone through this?
  • Ward L
    Solar Fanatic
    • Feb 2014

I saw the same thing on my bill last year and called SCE and got the same response: It was an error. I decided I didn't know what is going on and I'm not going to worry about it.

Comment

• arf88
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2017

Come to find out it is not an error. The multiple reps I spoke with were just clueless. The cap is there especially if you have a battery backup system which puts you in a Paired-Storage category within the NEM framework. There is a calculator used to calculate your monthly max generation capacity. https://www.csi-epbb.com/ In my case since my newest panels are not PTO b/c I just got the city permit my generation is capped b/c of my PTO size they used in the calculator so I'm over generating. They also have 2 tallies one for generation and consumption. And the way the billing works is they take what you consume out of the generation after you have exceeded the cap and subtract it.

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Yes, that is what came with the generous SGIP subsidy people received for their paired storage. I decided to forego that incentive because I did not think my hybrid inverter would qualify so I am not subject to that regulation. I am using that system in self consumption mode and now charging my EVs during the day to avoid paying Non Bypassable Charges.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• arf88
          Solar Fanatic
          • Nov 2017

Once PTO is granted i should have an updated max Cap but the problem with this is they Don't incentivize homeowners not to use electricity during peak hours. Which is exactly what they want homeowners to do.

Comment

• Ampster
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2017

The theory behind TOU rates was to use price as a disincentive to use power during peak hours. Also, programs like Ohm Connect have incentives.
            9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...