Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ovirt
    • Jan 2022

Tesla Solar with Battle Born Batteries?

Does Anyone know if you have a Tesla solar system would other batteries such as battle born work with that system?
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Originally posted by ovirt
    Does Anyone know if you have a Tesla solar system would other batteries such as battle born work with that system?
    If you mean a Tesla solar panel system then you would need a hybrid inverter in addition to Battlborn batteries to AC couple them together.

If you mean a Tesla Powerwall, the answer is no. A Powerwall is an inverter and batteries in one case. Other parts are required for the install.
    Last edited by Ampster; 01-25-2022, 12:19 AM.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• sidpost
      • Mar 2022

Powerwalls are enclosed systems. Need more power, buy a second powerwall and connect them.

Separate batteries is really a separate system with its own systems and then you have the hardware needed to tie your new batteries and your old Tesla power wall together.

If you are trying to charge a Telsa car or you are just using Tesla solar panels, that is a different discussion.

Comment

• ovirt
        • Jan 2022

Thank you for the info. I only have the solar system from Tesla I don’t have a power wall. So the only way for me to add battery backup is to purchase a Powerwall?

Comment

• Ampster
          Solar Fanatic
          • Jun 2017

....... So the only way for me to add battery backup is to purchase a Powerwall?
          No, a Tesla Powerwall is not the only way to add battery backup. As I mentioned above, any UL approved hybrid inverter and batteries should be able to AC couple to your Tesla grid tie system and provide backup.
          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• sidpost
            • Mar 2022

Thank you for the info. I only have the solar system from Tesla I don’t have a power wall. So the only way for me to add battery backup is to purchase a Powerwall?
            Tapping into most solar panel systems is pretty straight forward.

You sound like you might be a good candidate for something like the Schneider Conext XW Pro 6.8kW 120/240 Volt Inverter 48V Charger which makes a lot of sense if you are on "tiered electric rates". That and a bank of LiFeP04 batteries would be a solid choice for what I think you described in your system.

A standard MPPT Charge controller and LiFeP04 batteries would be another option along with an inverter similar to the Schneider Electric Conext SW 4048 3,800 Watts, 48VDC Inverter/Charger for Split-phase 120/240 VAC.

If you can't tell, I am a huge fan of LiFeP04 batteries. Personally, I'm not a fan of Battle Born Batteries generally, feeling they are very expensive for what you get even though they work well for most people. While I went with a DIY solution using 32 CATL 302Ah batteries, for a household solution, something like the Signature Solar EG4 batteries in the 6U rack (https://www.signaturesolar.com/colle...eg4-lifepower4) is very attractive to me. There are other vendors with similar rack solutions but, I'm most familiar with this one.

Since you are using a Tesla system, I'm assuming you are on the West Coast and looking to lessen utility costs generally which, will make something like the Schneider Context XW Pro a really good choice. If you are concerned more with consuming what you produce for periods where you are not directing driving your system with the sunshine (i.e. using batteries at night), a straight inverter has more merit. In either case, you need batteries, and the service life and overall costs to me suggest LiFeP04 solutions are best right now which is basically what the POWERWALLS and EV cars use for energy storage.

As a random fact not really related to the original post. Tesla China is apparently now using or will use CATL batteries for their Chinese cars exclusively. CATL is a huge automotive battery producer in China so, in the long term should be a reasonable option for many DIY'ers like myself.

Comment

• ovirt
              • Jan 2022

Thank you guys I appreciate the info and will look into a/c coupled systems and other info I got here today. Thanks again!

Comment

Working...