Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bouncepoodle
    • Nov 2021

Free Electricity

Hi, I have Solar Panels on my shed at the back of the Garden, Last year I had a Smart meter installed by SSE, I believe I do not get the benefits of free electricity, I do get the FIT payments.
    When the sun is shining And my power use is at a minimum in the summer, the led on my smart meter is still flashing as if power is coming through the meter
    I contacted SSE regarding this and they said as I was no longer a customer of theirs it was not their problem, it was my new suppliers problem
    Can anyone please offer me any insights as to how to get over this, a new meter but at what costs
    Thank you in advance
  • scrambler
    Solar Fanatic
    • Mar 2019

You may want to clarify the way you are reading the meter. The smart meters I know display the kWh coming in as positive, and the KWh going out to the grid as negative. Once you have a smart meter that should not change.

If the meter shows no export, it is likely you have an issue with your production.

So you need to check it closely when the sun is shining at its max and nothing is running in the home, because you may also have a problem with your solar installation that causes no or reduced electricity to be produced.
    To help with that, do you have any monitoring system on your solar installation that allows you to see your solar production, and if so have you verified your system is producing normally?

If you are 100% sure the system is producing normally, then have you contacted your provider?
    One you have a smart meter, it should only be about the type of contract you have with them so you get credited for your export.

Comment

• SunEagle
      Super Moderator
      • Oct 2012

Ok. I am a little confused. You use to have SSE as your POCO but now they say you have someone different.

If so then just contact your new POCO and get a contract with them to sell power back to the grid. Of course if they choose not to sell to them you really don't have much of a choice unless you can find a different POCO that accepts some type of Net metering.

Oh and I guess you finally figured out that solar energy is never free.

Comment

• bouncepoodle
        • Nov 2021

Hi Everyone
        Thank you for your replies, SSE just contacted me and explained

The electricity comes through the meter regardless if it is exported by the panels and the led will flash if I use electricity
        The best check is to switch off all consumption on a Sunny day
        Led should stop
        Switch on consumption Led should flash but numbers will not change on the meter
        If the numbers then Change, there is a problem
        Makes sense
        Just waiting for that sunny day
        Thank you

Comment

Working...