• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • GeorgeF
    Solar Fanatic
    • Nov 2018

Minigrid vs offgrid system in each house

Just curieus about your opinion:

There is an island with +/- 350 houses in the country where im currently living with a solar powered minigrid setup as per attached pict which must supply 24 hours electricity < 500Wh per house, no generator.

The battery bank = GEL , OPZV

1. Do you think that gel is suitable for such a setup?

2. Do you think that small offgrid system, for example 200Wp system with 100Ah deep cycle, installed in each house will be more (cost)effective, with instensive training of 3 or more inhabitants there for trouble shooting and maintainnance?

Any other input is welcome.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by GeorgeF; 11-11-2021, 11:21 PM. Reason: Typing error
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

My feeling, each dwelling unit is responsible for the maintenance and replacement of their own batteries.

Once you get a communal system, the group conservation discipline vanishes. "Not my problem, I conserved yesterday"
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• GeorgeF
      Solar Fanatic
      • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Mike90250
      My feeling, each dwelling unit is responsible for the maintenance and replacement of their own batteries.

Once you get a communal system, the group conservation discipline vanishes. "Not my problem, I conserved yesterday"
      What do you think about the GEL battery bank? Is GEL suitable for such a setup. Its like a huge solar offgrid sistem.

BTW, this minigrid setup is a government project and ofcourse each house connected receives a monthly bill.

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by GeorgeF

What do you think about the GEL battery bank? Is GEL suitable for such a setup. Its like a huge solar offgrid sistem.

BTW, this minigrid setup is a government project and ofcourse each house connected receives a monthly bill.
        It probably depends on where this island is and what their access to resources is. Tesla has installed Powerpacks on some islands for grid support. Those Powerpacks are all Lithium, but I am sure the government who designed this mini grid had their reasons for choosing GEL packs. What can you tell us about their analysis?
        Last edited by Ampster; 11-12-2021, 08:24 PM.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Mike90250
          • May 2009

So, battery terminology vs common names. Many stores are ignorant of the differences.

GEL = a battery with jellied, non spill electrolyte. Cannot be recharged quickly, as gas bubbles form in the gel

AGM = Absorbent Glass Mat, electrolyte embedded in glass mat. also non spill. Can sustain high rate charge and discharge

Both types are sealed, and overcharge will vent electrolized gas and loose capacity with each venting episode.

You will have to decide, from the description, if the batteries you mention, are suitable.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

Comment

• GeorgeF
            Solar Fanatic
            • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Ampster

It probably depends on where this island is and what their access to resources is. Tesla has installed Powerpacks on some islands for grid support. Those Powerpacks are all Lithium, but I am sure the government who designed this mini grid had their reasons for choosing GEL packs. What can you tell us about their analysis?
            A lot of minigrids here in Indonesia are down after 1-2 years of operation. Then they contract someone with knowledge and experince to fix it.

Its a government project but the main contractor did the design. As Mike said, and ive just been browsing some old posts here, i understand that gel is not suitable for offgrid service. Minigrids are all solar powered here with no generator backup.

I really do not know why they have chosen for gel, that is why i am asking here. The battery is from a local factory and they produce opzs also.

Comment

• Ampster
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jun 2017

Originally posted by GeorgeF
              I really do not know why they have chosen for gel, that is why i am asking here. The battery is from a local factory.......
              It seems pretty obvious to me that the government chose the local factory because it was local. Presumably that was the overriding factor.
              9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• GeorgeF
                Solar Fanatic
                • Nov 2018

Originally posted by Ampster
                It seems pretty obvious to me that the government chose the local factory because it was local. Presumably that was the overriding factor.
                If you have to decide, opzV or opzS ? both being produced by the same company.

Comment

• Mike90250
                  • May 2009

Some definitions I found:

OPzs and OPzV batteries are tubular-plate batteries with a cell voltage of 2V that are connected in series to produce higher voltages.

FLA : OPzS is an abbreviation of O 'Ortsfest' (stationary), Pz 'PanZerplatte' (tubular plate), S 'Flüssig' (flooded).
                  GEL : OPzV stands for Ortsfest (stationary) PanZerplatte (tubular plate) Verschlossen (closed).

OPzV has nothing in it's constriction that indicates to me, that it's suitable for rapid recharge as needed by solar.

And if the site I've quoted is wrong, let me know. Mike

Comment

• GeorgeF
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Nov 2018

OpzV is a tubular gel. A deep cycle battery with high cycle life but can not be charged fast, see attached.

if I understood well there is no normal grid connection in an area when they setup solar powered minigrid systems without generator backup. Its to me like a huge offgrid system with gel batteries which can not be recharged quickly and thus not suitable for daily discharging and charging with solar only. Still wondering and curieus why they use gel for minigrids with 24hours supply of electricity to connected houses.
                    Attached Files
                    Last edited by GeorgeF; 11-16-2021, 09:05 PM.

Comment

Working...