SCE Capped My Export

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SCE Capped My Export

I've had my system for over 7 years. I noticed a new statement on my bill from Southern California Edison: "Your monthly generation has been reduced... The generation kWh produced this month has exceeded the maximum allowable cap. As a result, the generation has been reduced as shown above."

This is what was shown above:
    Forfeited Generation - Summer Season
    On peak 308 kWh
    Off peak 452 kWh

My net generation this billing period was 308 + 452 or 760 kWh. Last month my net generation was 844 kWh. I don't know what this means and wonder if I actually exported more power and SCE doesn't show the true net generation. I expect this is something new to get more money out of solar customers. In this billing cycle, 8/16 through 9/14, I exported 100 kWhs more than I used. In the previous billing cycle, I used 159 more than I generated and the billing cycle before that I exported 457 kWh more than I consumed.

Yes, my system is larger than I need and I get about $0.03 kWh (yes, that is 3 cents per kWh) for the excess power I generate over the year. I have tracked my generation, import and export of electricity since moving into the house. I have calculated what my power bill would be without my solar panels. After 7.4 years I have saved enough to pay back my initial investment. This is equivalent to a tax free bond paying over 10% a year. And I am very pleased.

Does anyone know what is going on? Have others seen this? I hate the thought of calling SCE, but that may be necessary.

That's a new one to me.

What did SCE say when you called them ?
    Last edited by J.P.M.; 09-20-2021, 04:45 PM.

Comment

What is the size of your system? Has it been increased since your PTO? Did you install batteries under a SGIP battery grant. I have heard some reports of more detailed scrutiny by PG&E and SCE on SGIP installs. Supposedly, there is a limitation in those PTOs about the amount of power that can be exported. If so, SCE may just be getting around to monitoring that arrangement. This is pure speculation on my part.
      Last edited by Ampster; 09-20-2021, 09:26 PM.
      9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

It is an unmodified 10k (40 - 250w panels) system installed in 2014. No batteries, no changes. My 12 month "relative period" ends in May. This is when my accumulated energy export/imports are zeroed out. I have had higher monthly energy exports over the 7 years. I did not get a chance to call them today and tomorrow isn't looking very good either. I would be amazed if someone on the phone at SCE could answer the question in less than an hour on the phone. There I go being all negative again. I'll call soon and update this thread. Curious if other SCE solar customers had a similar statement/restriction on their bills.

Comment

I just checked one of my SCE accounts that was installed in 2012 and upgraded by adding 1kW in 2016. Last month it generated 90kWh above usage and all I paid was the $13 minimum. There was no cap on generation on that bill. I don't follow SCE that closely any more but saw nothing on other forums about any capped generation..

Comment

I got the same message on the bill…. Not sure what this means.

Comment

I'll try and call tomorrow.

Comment

Did you get a chance to call? I just got back from a business trip last night. I will try to call at some point today.

Comment

On another forum a poster in SCE territory reported the same thing. He resolved it by changing the configuration of his system to export less and self consume more. I presume he has a Tesla Powerwall or hybrid inverter with batteries.

Comment

I guess I need to start charging the Tesla's during they day......

Comment

Originally posted by BigJimmy626 View Post
                      I guess I need to start charging the Tesla's during they day......
                      That is what I have concluded based on the erosion of NEM benfits over the past few years, I am referring to Non Bypassible Charges. The challenge is modulating the Tesla charging based on the output of the solar panels.

Comment

I called SCE and after 21 minutes of waiting to talk to the person that knew the answer, it required another 3 minutes to tell me the message on my bill was an error. All the bill numbers are correct and the only error is the "export is limited" statement. She said everyone on NEM at SCE got the same incorrect message. I asked if my export of electricity was limited in any way and she said no. Oopsie by SCE!

Comment

Originally posted by Ward L View Post
                          I called SCE and after 21 minutes of waiting to talk to the person that knew the answer, it required another 3 minutes to tell me the message on my bill was an error. All the bill numbers are correct and the only error is the "export is limited" statement. She said everyone on NEM at SCE got the same incorrect message. I asked if my export of electricity was limited in any way and she said no. Oopsie by SCE!
                          hahahahahaha! I swear... but if this "accidently" got put on a bill.. I am sure the wording will be put there at some point in the future... It is pretty clear what the future holds..

Thanks for the follow up!

Comment

Originally posted by BigJimmy626 View Post
                            .. It is pretty clear what the future holds..
                            Yes, as mentioned earlier with SGIP grants they already have that in the PTO wording. My strategy is to do more self consumption to avoid running into that in the future. I don't have an SGIP grant but I am installing a hybrid inverter with more solar panels behind the meter to allow me to do more load shifting. I can limit my export to the kW allowed in my PTO and use the extra solar capacity to serve the house loads and charge the batteries. As an additional benefit I will have a reliable and quiet backup to get me through the frequent power outages in Northern California.

Comment

Like some others, after a long wait and multiple tries, I too got through to the solar department at SCE and the guy confirmed that the message on the bill was done in error by SCE. Interesting because clearly they had this message created for something and I suspect it was one more attempt by SCE to reduce the amount of credit a customer can accumulate in any given defined period. I tend to have large credits due to living alone and controlling my electrical use, even though I never have my house uncomfortable to live in. This means I buy no electricity from SCE and the funding, despite the size, is all going toward SCE paying me and not the other way. I don't see where the utility can survive this unless they figure a way to bank and resell the power to other power providers across the country. SCE is simply a middle man and do not produce power, they buy it and resell it to the southern California communities. This business model is not sustainable if every new house (and many older homes) install solar.

Comment

Working...
                              X