Can I run a 240v from the breaker box to the roof in the solar wire conduit

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can I run a 240v from the breaker box to the roof in the solar wire conduit

I'm trying to have a mini split installed in my garage and seeing if the 240v wires are able to run through the same conduit as the solar wires. That would save money instead of all new conduit starting and stopping from about the same spots.
    Also, I have a 240v car charger in the garage and if the air handler is 240v, could I also run those wires through that conduit so installers don't have to drill another hole through my garage.
    Just curious if that would work or not, Or since the refrigerant lines go from unit to unit, would that delete the conduit for my car charger and a hole has to be drilled through the roof anyways and just run all the lines through there?

Thank You solar1.jpgsolar2.jpg
    .solar.jpg
    Last edited by Jasper7821; 07-21-2021, 01:42 PM.

Technically, the code allows mixing AC and DC wiring as long as everything is rated for 600V (which all building and PV wire is). and you are not overdoing overdoing the fill rating of the conduit. However it is really poor form to mix AC and DC like this and very few electricians (and inspectors) will do it.
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
      Technically, the code allows mixing AC and DC wiring as long as everything is rated for 600V (which all building and PV wire is). and you are not overdoing overdoing the fill rating of the conduit. However it is really poor form to mix AC and DC like this and very few electricians (and inspectors) will do it.
      Thank You, I'm just trying to do this the least expensive way. I was also thinking of 110v mini split. I have a double outlet already on the roof and just attach a plug and plug it in and get a waterproof outlet cover. And I have extra outlets in the garage so that's easy too.
      My budget is only allowing for a 12k maybe 18k BTU and seems like 110 vs 220 are about the same price.

Comment

Please check with an electrician or your local inspector before proceeding with that minisplit connection. I think that it is not allowed to be plugged in. My understanding is that A/Cs must have hard wiring and a disconnect switch, but I could be wrong.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician.
        7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

Originally posted by bob-n View Post
          Please check with an electrician or your local inspector before proceeding with that minisplit connection. I think that it is not allowed to be plugged in. My understanding is that A/Cs must have hard wiring and a disconnect switch, but I could be wrong.

Disclaimer: I am not an electrician.
          Thank You, It's looking like it's less expensive to install the 110v unit as I'll only need a tiny amount of wire. And I don't think a disconnect switch is needed as the condenser wiring feeds to the air handler and just plugs in the wall. At least that's how some of the videos were that I watched. But yes, I'll check with an electrician.
          Last edited by Jasper7821; 07-21-2021, 04:57 PM.

Comment

Unless the code has changed I was advised years ago that DC wiring from the array to the inverter were not allowed to be run in the same conduit as an AC signal.

Comment

Originally posted by peakbagger View Post
              Unless the code has changed I was advised years ago that DC wiring from the array to the inverter were not allowed to be run in the same conduit as an AC signal.
              Thank You, I think I'm going with a 100v mini split so no need to run cable in the solar conduit as there's 110v power next to the AC on the roof. solar3.jpg

Comment

I would check out that roof feed in detail. They might have run 3 wires, 240VAC for
                that AC and one wire to neutral to feed that convenient outlet. If you put a serious
                120VAC load on there, it may overload the circuit. If you feed a 240VAC mini split
                (like all of mine), the current will be halved and more likely within capacity.
                Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                  I would check out that roof feed in detail. They might have run 3 wires, 240VAC for
                  that AC and one wire to neutral to feed that convenient outlet. If you put a serious
                  120VAC load on there, it may overload the circuit. If you feed a 240VAC mini split
                  (like all of mine), the current will be halved and more likely within capacity.
                  Bruce Roe
                  Ok, thank you. So you're saying maybe I can just tap into the AC wiring and if a 12k BTU 220v mini split uses 5-7 amps then that may be ok on the same line?
                  RLA is 20.6 and LRA is 115

as the AC AC data plate.jpgbreaker box.jpg
                  Attached Files
                  Last edited by Jasper7821; 07-22-2021, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Just check everything to be sure. Bruce Roe

Comment

Originally posted by bcroe View Post
                      Just check everything to be sure. Bruce Roe
                      Thank You

Comment

Working...
                      X