charge controller

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• charge controller

hi i have 4 panels 235w 36v voc,will a 12v/24v controller work with a 36v panel,also i havent got a clue,plan on connecting all four in parallel,that will give me 30+ amps,need help .at the moment one 12v lead acid battery and the system will be running only in the day then switching over to main
    Last edited by ohdidntitellyou; 07-14-2021, 09:59 PM.

You will have to check the specs on the Charge Controller before you buy one. Make sure it's Max input voltage is higher than your panels Voc.

If you use a PWM controller, you will only get 29A with all panels in parallel

36V panels in parallel will charge a 12v battery using a MPPT Controller, could give you 67A under great conditions.
    Wiring 2series and 2parallel, will allow you to charge a 24V battery at 33A
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

For my PWM controller, a 36 volt panel on a 12 volt system is too much. A 24 volt system would work.

Also, check the charging specs on your battery. 30 amps charging to a single floors lead acid battery will be too much. Your SCC may have an adjustable limit, but you need to check the specs on that.

Comment

As Mike stated a true MPPT type CC will pay for itself by giving you more charging amps then a PWM type.

But as chrisski states if you put too much charging amps into a battery you could cook it. The easiest formula is to only use a C/10 charge rate where C = the battery AmpHour rating. When you go above a C/8 charge rate the battery may not be happy because you will boil off the solution inside.

Comment

That Amazon 100A MPPT 36V/48V/60V charge controller for $60, seems bogus. my 60A MPPT controllers are much larger and have large heat sinks.
          This may be a case of a PWM controller with a MPPT sticker on it.
          If this was genuine MPPT at 95% efficient, 80A @ 60V would be 4800watts, and 5% heat would be 240watts to dissipate. Not going to happen.
          Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
          || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
          || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
          gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

thanks for the info,its hard to find a controller to match my panels thats why the question is,will a 12v/24/ mppt work with a 36v panel,i have 4 inverters to work with all 12v from a 1000w to 3000w.

Comment

i did look into that controller,i do believe its a fake,im stuck with what i have,too much money to upgrade,but i do want a mppt controller to work with what i have,so i am now looking for a cheap real mppt to work with a 36v panel any help would be appreciated.oh am i stuck with a parallel panel setup because of the 36v
              Last edited by ohdidntitellyou; 07-15-2021, 10:00 PM.

Comment

Depends on the MPPT controller you end up with. I have a VIctron 100 volt, 50 amp controller, and with your four panels I would be 2 in series, 2 in parallel.

THey make a 150 volt controller, but unfortunately, even though your panels add up to 142 volts, once its cold, you may exceed the SCC rating because panel voltage goes up as it gets cold and exceeding the rating on an SCC can kill it.

THere are higher voltage controllers like a Victron 250 volt, but often times when you look at these prices, way too much money compared to a couple of the smaller ones.

Very deceptive advertising when a company calls itself MPPT in hopes that people buy it instead.
                Last edited by chrisski; 07-15-2021, 10:40 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X