Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bcroe
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2012

As I see it, the present large scale grid connected PV solar was made possible by
    mature economy of scale, and 3 technologies which all trace back to the transistor.

The 6 in square PV cell has a far better performance to cost ratio than earlier cells
    (typically round) based more on electronics production.

Large Field Effect power transistors have been developed, and used to build
    sophisticated, large PV array DC to line AC inverters.

The Integrated Circuit is used for micro processors or controllers to operate the
    inverters.

When solar cell prices became within reach of the public, they were quite expensive
    per watt. Panels targeted lower power apps such as the 12V RV industry, and
    required an absolute minimum of electronics to control (no AC involved). The 100W
    PV panel worked where there was no alternate line source. They may still be used
    in places where the larger, far more economical panels will not fit. Also work for
    educational purposes. Bruce Roe
    Last edited by bcroe; 07-02-2021, 12:42 PM.

Comment

• BroncoLera
      • Jun 2021

Still...10 x 100watts = 1000watts = ~5-6 kWh / day as I see it. Bigger panels just mean more cells per panel. ( and sure...less cabling)

Watts is watts. Go with what you gots.

So if putting $45,000 worth of solar power in your home will never see a return on the investment, is it really worthwhile? Just for backup purposes?

As far as that other guy.....will who? I like that guy in Australia.....off grid garage. Great sense of humor too.
      Last edited by BroncoLera; 01-08-2022, 04:38 PM.

Comment

Working...