DC motor shuts off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DC motor shuts off

I have small DC motor attached to my battery (Renology 100ah) along with an aerator motor to run a hydroponic gardening system. I have a Hyundai 255 watt solar panel attached to an mppt charge controller to keep the battery charged. However, when the batter gets fully charged the dc pump motor shuts off (the dc motor running the aerator does not). If the pump loses it's prime, it won't keep the plants alive! It does the same thing if attached to a PWM controller. Suggestions?

It sounds like the DC pump stops because of over voltage which can happen when a battery is fully charged. The dc motor on the aerator may be able to run at a higher voltage so it keeps going.

I don't think a different CC will make a difference. You might have to find a way to limit the voltage going to the dc pump to keep it going.

Comment

Sometimes the LOAD terminals on a controller may provide some voltage limit to allow high battery charging voltage and nominal voltage . Read the manuals first
      Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Interestingly if the battery is connected to a battery charger on trickle charge (2 amps) it continues to run, but if connected to cc and solar panel with 32 volts and 8 amps it shuts off when battery is full.

Comment

Originally posted by PWS View Post
          Interestingly if the battery is connected to a battery charger on trickle charge (2 amps) it continues to run, but if connected to cc and solar panel with 32 volts and 8 amps it shuts off when battery is full.
          That is because the trickle charger is stupid and will continue to dump amps into the battery while the CC has "smart" controls and will detect if the battery is fully charged (usually be measuring the voltage) and either ramp down to "float" or just stop.

Comment

If you want to have a safe motor that will work without any problems for years along, I'd recommend buying a 24V BLDC motor.
            At least I bought such a motor five years ago, and since then, I had never ever had any issues.
            Its main features are:
            Lower maintenance and longer service life without erosion O brushes and collectors.
            Low noise level-elimination of contact with the brush.
            Power-to-higher ratio.
            Higher efficiency (usually over 90%)
            Lower temperature increase-more efficiency o heat dissipation due to the winding design.

Comment

You can buy small PWM voltage converters (buck regulators) on Amazon and ebay that can regulate the voltage going to the motor. Put that between the battery and the motor and you will never have overvoltage on the motor. Motors often have high inrush current, so find a converter rated for 2X the current that you expect to need, just to be safe.

I'm not sure what current level or output voltage you need, but here is a typical one that can accept anything up to 40V in and put out any lower voltage in the range 1.5V to 35V (you adjust output voltage) at up to 3 amps.
              https://www.amazon.com/Valefod-Volta.../dp/B07WQJ2GD6
              Note: I have not bought this product and can't vouch for the product or the supplier.

There are also higher current models. Search amazon for "buck converter".
              7kW Roof PV, APsystems QS1 micros, Nissan Leaf EV

Comment

Working...
              X