Sunny Boy code 10120 "currently permitted number of parameters exceeded" RESET?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RDiekmann
    • Dec 2020

Sunny Boy code 10120 "currently permitted number of parameters exceeded" RESET?

SMA Sunny Boy 5kw-SP-US-41 purchased last fall (2020)...Cannot change active feed in limitations, will not accept changes after saving all. Under events now getting the above "information" not an error or warning. Tried turning off system completely for 5 mins and reboot and also overnite. still frozen....Owners manual just lists code 10120 but not how to reset.....
  • oregon_phil
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jan 2019

I have to assume you know what you are doing.

installer login, then follow the menu tree

device parameters
    select edit parameters

device
    Operation
    Reset operation data
    select on pull down menu "reset events" or select "execute all" to get to home base. Execute all will obliterate your network settings and will need to be recreated.

select save all

Comment

• RDiekmann
      • Dec 2020

Reset events and execute all did not work. I'm afraid my power control module might be bad. I will send an email to SMA Tech in Rocklin tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions. Installation asst adjusting power limitation did not save either..

Comment

• oregon_phil
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jan 2019

In order to figure out how to fix the problem, we need to know what events led up to the error condition "event code 10120". What changed before event code 10120 happened? Did you physically change the string layout or just make parameter changes? Is the firmware updated to the latest version? Did you look at the events log to find out what's going on?

SMA is going to ask you the same thing. I would suggest that you call SMA america instead of sending them an email. Even though you would have to wait on the phone a long time, it is better than waiting for that email that might never come.

Another solarpaneltalk user had the same fault code 10120 last year too. Fault 10120 happens when the system has been reset too many times. Fault 10120 is a symptom of the problem, but not the problem. The system has been reset for some other fault. What was the system fault code before fault code 10120?

Search this forum for "Another SMA Error Code" to find out how this instance of fault code 10120 was solved.

Excerpts from this past thread

" Inverter is making power fine but throwing error codes.

The first glitch was it started throwing Error Code 8503 (Monitoring has failed, input C detected). I had removed the C string of panels and hooked them to another inverter. When this error code shows up, I can reset it by going to the DEVICE PARAMETERS, EDIT PARAMETERS > DEVICE >OPERATION >RESET OPERATING DATA > RESET EVENTS. This causes the event to go away and the inverter operates normally.

Problem is, the Error Code 8503 keeps coming back. Sometimes three to five times per day. The inverter continues to make power, its just showing the error.

For the last 24 hours, the reset function stopped working and now I also get an Error Code 10120 (Currently permitted number of parameterizations exceeded) Which sounds like there is some counter inside that only lets you reset the error codes so many times."

Comment

• RDiekmann
          • Dec 2020

I saw that thread. This is what happened "Fault 10120 happens when the system has been reset too many times" ..Did not change string layout, we have been boosting the generation when using the electric dryer and lowering back down when our consumption is low.... SO it finally caught up with us...The code 10120 is listed as "information" under events and periodically we show 10522 which is "parameter changes made w/o regard to own consumption"...which 10522 is listed as a "warning"....Looking back through the event calendar the 10522 shows every once in a while and 10100 which is "parameter change successful"....SO since last fall we have been raising and lowering the values with no problems till last Wednesday...
          I told my wife there has to be another problem because both codes are information and warning. So I have to dig deeper to find the root cause...

I tried this today and it did not work to unfreeze the values....DEVICE PARAMETERS, EDIT PARAMETERS > DEVICE >OPERATION >RESET OPERATING DATA > RESET EVENTS. This causes the event to go away and the inverter operates normally. Also tried "execute all' also didn't work.
          I have also tried under "installation assistant" to restore "string failure" (turn on). I had it off but that also didn't help.
          Today I reviewed the events for the entire month of March, didn't see anything unusual....
          Look, I so appreciate your response....I wil do more research and investigating tomorrow...today I just scanned, I need to sit and really study the events calendar as well

Lastly, do you have SMA products?

Comment

• oregon_phil
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jan 2019

yes I have a 7.7 -40. How do you boost generation? Parameter?

Comment

• RDiekmann
              • Dec 2020

On my 5.0 - 41 you sign on as installer assistant, go to device parameters, edit parameters, drop all the way down to "system and device control", open grid connection point...we choose fixed specification in W, change wattage to what you need, then open fall back for inverter and change that to match...SAVE ALL

We are limited to 5kw. Our normal daily needs are around 750kw to 1200kw....So you can see why we change values....

Late January we purchased a DC Solar Trailer and am getting close to going off grid (need better weather for reinstalling 2 Sunny Islands and FLA battery bank with 1020amp hours...(forklift) .
              We have had 5 power outages in the last 45 days here and this is getting ridiculous. So we will have our own mini-micro grid and all the maintenance and upkeep that comes with it. LOL My gut tells me the energy infrastructure is worse off then we are being told....
              Last edited by RDiekmann; 03-29-2021, 12:00 AM.

Comment

• RDiekmann
                • Dec 2020

Checked Sunny Boy User interface this am. Last nite the fallback limitation saved from 950 to 500? (8:44pm)...Not sure what is going on but will leave it alone for now and view later. Could be string detection off and on or device parameters > device> operation> reset events....

Comment

• oregon_phil
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jan 2019

I am not familiar with what you are trying to do with those parameter settings. A guess: you are trying to limit the power going back to the grid.

another set of possible settings:

system and device control/Configuration of system control via communication/Q specified by PV system control/Operating mode for absent system control:

Values maintained or Use fall back settings.

There are two other minor headings under Configuration of system control via communication that also have "values maintained or Use fallback settings"

I have no idea what these do, but guessing these things happen when ethernet/modbus/etc control of the inverter is lost like in a power outage.

Good luck. I am out of my league.

Comment

• RDiekmann
                    • Dec 2020

Yes.... limit the power going back to the grid...Sign on as installer>device parameters> edit parameters>system and device control>(scroll down) grid connection point...
                    There you will see drop down menus..."Operating mode of active power limitation" (we set this as "fixed specification of watts) > "Currently set active power limit" (we set this anywhere between 0-5000) > "Set active power limit" (we leave this at 100%)
                    Then below it Fallback for inverter.....we set this the same value as the other....(example: If we need to use our 4400 watt elec dryer we move the value up to max 5kw) when the dryer is done we move the values back to 500w to 950w depending on consumption......
                    I believe your 40 has the same User Interface menus....You can go in an look but I would not change anything after what we are going thru....It's a learning experience with these units..Hope this helps you....(Hope you are not in Salem....)

Comment

• RDiekmann
                      • Dec 2020

Originally posted by oregon_phil
                      I am not familiar with what you are trying to do with those parameter settings. A guess: you are trying to limit the power going back to the grid.

another set of possible settings:

system and device control/Configuration of system control via communication/Q specified by PV system control/Operating mode for absent system control:

Values maintained or Use fall back settings.

There are two other minor headings under Configuration of system control via communication that also have "values maintained or Use fallback settings"

I have no idea what these do, but guessing these things happen when ethernet/modbus/etc control of the inverter is lost like in a power outage.

Good luck. I am out of my league.
                      I believe "Configuration of system control via communication" is for external communications.....Like RS485, modbus, tcp, WLAN?? Our Sunnys have User Interface as default to make changes or we can use an ethernet directly at the inverter to commission or make changes....192.168.0.1 for ethernet at inverter and 192.168.12.3 for the user interface on desktop, lapton or cell phone using a browser (Chrome). I originally used 192.168.0.1 to comission with a 6 ft ethernet. Now everything I do is via 192.168.12.3 via laptop in house. (Purchased a SMA external antenna for my SB from Stella Volta to gain reception)

Comment

• Keepsake
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by RDiekmann
                        Reset events and execute all did not work. I'm afraid my power control module might be bad. I will send an email to SMA Tech in Rocklin tomorrow and see if they have any suggestions. Installation asst adjusting power limitation did not save either..

Did you get an answer? For me it was a couple of dozens changes to the power_limit parameter with ModBus that tripped the absurd SMA lockout.

Comment

• sabersix
                          • Mar 2015

Originally posted by RDiekmann
                          Yes.... limit the power going back to the grid...(example: If we need to use our 4400 watt elec dryer we move the value up to max 5kw) when the dryer is done we move the values back to 500w to 950w depending on consumption...
                          I don't understand why you would need to do this. My simplistic understanding is that your dryer is only going to pull power from the grid if there is insufficient power generation from you solar system. What is the point of making this adjustment at the inverter?

5.775 kW System: 21 SolarWorld SW275 x 1 SMA 5000

Comment

Working...