Energy meter experience with grid tie Zero Export

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Energy meter experience with grid tie Zero Export

Anyone install an Energy meter tied to their Grid tie inverter to accomplish Zero Export ( solar export limiter, etc). This would be with Current transformers for split phase 120/240 USA. Using CT's to an energy meter from the incoming grid and then configuring the inverter to respond to high load or low load connected via LAN or Ethernet. Specifically, SMA sunny boy (not Sunny Island).
    Doing research and have seen Wattnode, Elgris, ZED advance, that say they all work with SMA plus others....This is big in India where net metering is not available is some parts of the country.

I can only offer high level conceptual response. I have an Enphase Envoy and an Outback Skybox that both offer that capability. The best answer may be in the manual. In my case it is a simple task of installing the CTs and adjusting the settings. Your mileage may vary.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

I'm running a solaredge with zero feed back for the last 4 years and it's working alright.
      Installed the wattnode meter and made the configuration on the inverter.

Comment

Originally posted by RDiekmann View Post
        Anyone install an Energy meter tied to their Grid tie inverter to accomplish Zero Export ( solar export limiter, etc). This would be with Current transformers for split phase 120/240 USA. Using CT's to an energy meter from the incoming grid and then configuring the inverter to respond to high load or low load connected via LAN or Ethernet. Specifically, SMA sunny boy (not Sunny Island).
        Doing research and have seen Wattnode, Elgris, ZED advance, that say they all work with SMA plus others....This is big in India where net metering is not available is some parts of the country.
        We've installed several zero export systems using SolarEdge inverters and their Wattnode metering and they work fine. We've also installed SMA TriPowers using SolarLog metering and control. Obviouly zero export systems work best when combined with energy storage. The majority of systems being installed today in Hawaii & Germany are zero export

Andy

Comment

With 120-240 split phase here in USA, is there 2 or 3 CT's? One on incoming line L1, another CT on L2 and a third on neutral (white).
          Or just one CT on Line 1?

Are your systems from energy meter to inverter hardwired (RS485, ethernet)?

Has anyone tried a wireless repeater (WLAN, LAN) when the inverter/array is some distance from grid supply (power company meter) 100 to 300 feet?

SMA Sunny Boy has WLAN by default. RS485 needs a board added. Has Speedwire standard.
          I am offered a great deal on a SMA Sunny Boy 5k US 41...not ready to pull trigger without more info and not wanting to net meter.

Comment

Working...
          X