Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ItsFriz
    • Jun 2020

Help Investigating Root Cause of Abnormal PV Module Configuration Alarm

Hi guys, I recently installed my own solar system and went to turn it on and got an alarm from my inverter. The inverter is a Huawei SUN2000-10KTL-USL0 with the SUN2000-375 optimizers, and there are 30 panels, in 3 strings of 10, which are Canadian Solar bi-facial 385w. All components are new. Flipped the AC switch on the inverter for the first time on Monday and connected the inverter to the FusionHome app, however upon start up it throws an error message which is as follows:

Alarm ID: 2080

Alarm Name: Abnormal PV module configuration

Cause ID = 3

Per the manual
    Cause ID = 1–4PV module configuration does not meet requirements, or the PV module output is reversely connected or short-circuited.

Suggestion: Check whether the total number of PV modules, number of PV modules in a string, and number of PV strings meet requirements and whether the PV module output is reversely connected.

ID1: The total number of PV modules is greater than 75.
    ID2: The number of PV modules in a string is greater than 25.
    ID3: The number of PV modules in a string is less than 6.
    ID4: The total number of PV strings is greater than 2(3.8 kW/5 kW/7.6 kW) or 3 (9 kW/10 kW/11.4 kW).
    ID5: The total output of PV modules is reversely connected or short-circuited

I've measured the output of each string and it is ~.8v across the string, or 1.75v from positive to ground. The system is NEC 2017 and my distributor says that it's a good thing that the voltage is low because that means the optimizers are waiting for a signal which the inverter isn't generating because of the error. I've connected each string up individually and the inverter still won't start because of that error.

The latest test I did was check the resistance. I get roughly .6 megaohm resistance across positive to negative on each string wiring, but I get 3.3 megaohm on PV1+ to PV2- or PV3- and PV2+ to PV1- or PV3- and same for PV 3. Wouldn't you expect to get infinite resistance from string PV1+ to PV2-?

If this is the case how would you go about diagnosing whether or not a string is connected in reverse or shorted and which string is causing the issue? Bonus points if you don't have to pull the panels off the roof to do it...
  • ItsFriz
    • Jun 2020

Nevermind, issue resolved. Polarity of string 2 was reversed.

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

or the PV module output is reversely connected or short-circuited
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• solarix
        Super Moderator
        • Apr 2015

Could I ask what your reasoning was to go with this unusual inverter?
        BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

• ItsFriz
          • Jun 2020

Originally posted by inetdog
          I know, problems sound so simple when you already know the answer. The testing procedure I went through didn't reveal it because of the powerline communication with the optimizers. The inverter was powered off, and each string individually connected, and then the polarity was reversed. It never changed the error. It was assumed that the inverter would power up and the error would be gone which would tell you if the polarity was right or wrong. Secondly because the system is NEC 2017 compliant I wasn't able to get a good read on the voltages

Comment

• ItsFriz
            • Jun 2020

Originally posted by solarix
            Could I ask what your reasoning was to go with this unusual inverter?
            Price mainly...probably the number one driver of all silly decisions. I believe I paid $1,300 for the inverter and $20 for 30 optimizers. So it was about $1,900 for the Huawei setup versus $4,500 for Solaredge and even more if I went the Enphase route

Comment

Working...