Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dayrobber
    • Jul 2019

6x12v batteries in parallel on 24v system

Living off grid in SoCal desert. I buy everstart RV/marine batteries.
    I just purchased 6 12v 29dc group Batts. Without notice. They sold 3 called Mighty Maxx and 3 Maxx. Difference is 122ah vs 114ah. I have 5 Trina 24v 370w modules(only 2 wired up) into Epever 40amp MPPT CC. It's over 115 degrees everyday 99 at night. My question is, the ah's aren't really my concern.
    Right now the batteries are in 12v parallel. I only have a 12v inverter right now. Is 6 batteries in parallel to many to get a full equal charge across them?
    Should I split the batteries into 2 sets of 3 equal ah's banks? Should I series them into 3 24v then parallel them?
    I need to order a bigger CC 60a. Before I can hook the other modules up.
    Recommendations my friends.
    Last edited by Dayrobber; 07-12-2020, 12:39 PM. Reason: Spelling errors
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

first, How much power do you need ? Can you calculate your loads Parallel batteries gets messy, fast. 6V batteries in series, is better

2nd. how to wire batteries : ( and loads / charging go to the same terminals, load cable touching the battery terminal, no washers or lugs in between )

Without knowing your loads, you don't know if you need 2, 4, or 8 batteries wired for 12, 24 or 48V
    in an RV, 12V is handy for all the house wiring, but add appliances and you are fishing cables the size of your thumb to carry the needed amps. So going up in voltage maintains the same watts, but more reasonable wire (just like high voltage transmission lines, they move volts not amps, skinny little wires)
    Perhaps using 1 marine battery for the simple house loads, and then a 24 or 48v system for larger loads. And don't be afraid to break out the 3kw generator if you need to burn $2 of fuel to cool the house for an hour. That fuel saves you from buying a $800 battery bank. You have to find the balance for your system design.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Dayrobber
      • Jul 2019

Thanks Mike90250.
      I have absolutely no loads. Running some 12v fans and charging phones. I live in a gutted RV. Which I refer to as a HARD TENT. I left the desert for 6 months and sold off everything. The pandemic pulled me back. The Trina 370w panels I fell into by accident. $75 a module. Bought all I could and still have access to a dozen more. I'll never need that much power but couldn't pass on the deal. It's 116 degrees right now, and some resting batteries are sweating.
      I'm using a 1000w inverter which at this temperature isn't doing anything for power supply.
      Back to it. I read last summer somewhere that there is a way for 4 or more batteries in a parallel configuration to have no voltage drop on the interior batteries at post.
      I've murder my batteries last summer. I spent the.past year learning batteries.
      Catching the sun is generally easy. Storing it Energy properly for later use, is another.
      ​​​​​​ Later. And Thanks.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

Well, the smartguage site I listed earlier, has the best practical ways to wire batteries. But if you are not cycling the batteries heavily, they should stay pretty well balanced.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Working...