Future Proof for battery install

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Future Proof for battery install

I'm thinking of installing a battery backup into the future but for now I'm just going to get solar panels installed. How hard is it to install a battery backup to an existing solar panels? Is there time saving/cheaper to design a new install with the idea of adding the battery backup in the future?

Originally posted by MaxThisPower View Post
    I'm thinking of installing a battery backup into the future but for now I'm just going to get solar panels installed. How hard is it to install a battery backup to an existing solar panels? Is there time saving/cheaper to design a new install with the idea of adding the battery backup in the future?
    Yes there is a way to phase a system to give you the optimal choices as you progress through phases. I would start with a good estimate of your annual expected or projected energy consumption in kWhs for a typical year and the maximum load in kW at anyone time.

The largest cash outlay would be to size a hybrid inverter for that load and incrementally add solar panels until you had enough capacity to cover your consumption. That would be a grid tie system that essentially would use the grid as a battery. Then you could add batteries to that inverter for some load shifting to take advantage of any TOU rate differentials if you have any. Then if needed you could add more battery capacity so that you were grid zero and could have backup if the grid were down.

A smaller cash outlay would be to start with a grid tie system which is less expensive because a GT inverter is less expensive than a hybrid inverter. Then when you wanted to add batteries you add a hybrid inverter that AC couples with the GT system. That way the solar panels of the GT system charge the batteries of the hybrid inverter and they work as an integrated system. That is essentially what I have done. I am in the final phase of adding battery capacity. I can provide details if interested. I had ruled out the use of a generator despite the better economics.
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post
      ......... I had ruled out the use of a generator despite the better economics.
      A generator has a benefit that needs to be considered - Power independent of weather and it's effects.

If there was a hurricane or wind storm that was bad enough to take down local power poles and wires, it's possible your panel array sustained damage (resin lawn chair) and unable to recharge batteries
      (same with ice storm, that coats your panels with and inch of ice or snow, blocking sunlight for some period of time.

Just consider all possibilities and when you need power.

Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
      || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
      || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
      gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

Use a Generator. Far less expensive, more reliable, and you can actually run everything in your home.
        MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...
        X