• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dayrobber
    • Jul 2019

12v inverter on a 24v system?

24v 375w panel ×2
    12v flooded batteries ×2 in series.
    Can I hook my 12v inveter to the battery bank on just one 12v battery?
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Simple answer: NO!

More elaborate answer: Since the batteries are charged in series, the charger will essentially be putting the same amount of energy into each battery unless you apply sufficient voltage (equalizing voltage) that a fully charged battery will continue to conduct (electrolyzing water into hydrogen and oxygen, which is then lost from the battery) while the other battery continues to charge. This is not good for the health of the batteries, even flooded lead acid cells.

When you hook the 12V inverter to one of the two batteries, you will be taking energy only from that battery, leading to the problem described above.

And finally the exception to the categorical negative: There are accessories available which connect to a 24V battery bank and provide 12V by drawing an equal amount of power from each of the two series 12V batteries. They use what is often called a current mirror design to draw equally from both halves. You could also use a 24V to 12V DC converter to drive your inverter. And neither of those options would be economically viable compared to just getting a 24V inverter. These systems are intended to deliver a small amount of power at 12V for devices that simply have to have 12V while the bulk of power is drawn from the system at 24V.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• Dayrobber
      • Jul 2019

Thanks SunnyBoy. Batteries have been my main study since last summer in the SoCal desert off-grid. My 24v inverter fans went out and this was a desperate choice. I have sulfated beat batteries that I'm able to temporarily use and beat fuether to death. They're cores anyway. Had a 400w 12v and NEED to run a fan.
      So at this moment all readings point to "DON'T EVER DO THIS" guys.
      I'm still an infant in the Solar World.
      I can catch the sun.
      I can manage the suns power.(MPPT'S)
      I can avoid excessive voltage drop.
      . All that said. Storage and Distribution of the Sun's energy is truly where comfortable Solar life is. I no longer have 1 main Solar system.
      Leds, chest freezer, Entertainment not one system depends on the other.
      But in an Emergency can be manipulated to supply power where needed.
      I Thank you for you time SB.

Comment

• Mike90250
        • May 2009

In a pinch, you can do it, and since you understand your batteries are already trash, here's how.

Hook the inverter to one battery. Next day, hook it to the other battery. Just continue leap-frog back and forth daily. this will sort of average the imbalance and it may run for for 3 days or 3 weeks.
        Keep an eye on the batteries and if they start heating up, you are done.
        Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
        || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
        || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
        gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Well if it were me in a pinch with 2, 4, 6, or 12 volt shot batteries, 12 volt inverter, and MPPT controller, I would just reconfigure the system to 12 volts until repairs can be made.Keeps the batteries going as long as possible rather than just completely destroy them as fast as possible.

But WTF does a stupid red skin injunere know?
          Last edited by Sunking; 05-27-2020, 01:04 PM.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Dayrobber
            • Jul 2019

Well that I'm running 24v 375w ×2 modules. Can't reconfigure the panels. If it is possible don't bother saying so for my sake. Discussion sure, Fire away. Delivery to the So Cal desert is bad enoug . Covid made it worse. 24v inverter expected by June 25th. IT IS 109 degrees right now. Glad I had theae life saving beat batteries.

Comment

• Sunking
              Solar Fanatic
              • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Dayrobber
              Well that I'm running 24v 375w ×2 modules. Can't reconfigure the panels. If it is possible don't bother saying so for my sake. Discussion sure, s.
              Non issue, does not matter what the panel voltages are as long as they are higher than the battery voltage.A MPPT controller can be configured to any battery voltage, you do not have to touch the panels. Just configure the batteries for 12 volts and you are in biz.

What CC do you have? Only limitation you might have is a current limit out of the controller. With 750 watts of panels into 12 volts requires 60 amps. Even if there is a limit is still your best option.

MSEE, PE

Comment

Working...