SolarEdge question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SolarEdge question

Hi, new here and had a question hoping someone could answer.
    we have a solar edge system that was installed about 5 years ago. at the time they did not include the Zigbee Gateway to monitor production and problems.
    looking into getting one now but wondering if there is any other option than the $300 system they sell.
    surprised it doesnt have built in network capabilities.
    Wish i would have found this forum before installation, answered a lot of questions i didnt even know i had.
    o well.
    TIA

The older SolarEdge inverters can just be hardwired with ethernet....
    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

As Solarix said, there should be an ethernet port inside the inverter, and a cable gland for it.

Comment

good to hear. thank you. now i need go get under the house and see if there was anyway to run the wire to it.

Comment

Originally posted by EGtreo View Post
          good to hear. thank you. now i need go get under the house and see if there was anyway to run the wire to it.
          If you find that is not feasible there are wireless point to point devices that connect to the Ethernet port. I use a Google product for one of my Enphase Envoys. It was 20 ft away across a concrete driveway
          9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Originally posted by Ampster View Post

If you find that is not feasible there are wireless point to point devices that connect to the Ethernet port. I use a Google product for one of my Enphase Envoys. It was 20 ft away across a concrete driveway
            thats actually the type of thing i was looking for. the inverter is only about 25' MAX from the router.
            i'll look into that aswell.
            thank you

Comment

Another option if you have a power outlet near the inverter is to use a switch in this outlet to lead the ethernet cable to, and then two devices to carry the signal over your indoor power lines to the router. I use a couple of dlink devices for this, and it works well.

Comment

Originally posted by willow1 View Post
                Another option if you have a power outlet near the inverter is to use a switch in this outlet to lead the ethernet cable to, and then two devices to carry the signal over your indoor power lines to the router. I use a couple of dlink devices for this, and it works well.
                thats all i can seem to find. i wouldnt mind doing it this way either. i'll see if theres a power outlet near by of if one can be added easily.
                thank you

Comment

so its been a while guys so i thought id update. my inverter went out around may and i had no idea until one day i looked on the LCD screen and it was showing no production. i called 1st light energy, my installer and received by far the worst service i have ever seen from any company. i finally got them to replace the inverter by the end of august.
                  after that i ended up getting a TP link wifi extender. this worked great for a few months but then the inverter stopped reporting data for some reason. WIFI extender was still working as i was able to connect to it with my phone and laptop. this went on for about 3 weeks then suddenly started working again. as of 12/3 it is not working.
                  i let it be for a while and in the meantime i ended up getting a EEROs mesh wifi setup that was on sale during BF. great system BTW.
                  now 2 things.
                  1. i am not able to connect my WIFI extender to the EERO, apparently they dont support 3rd party hardware.
                  2. EERO does support Zigbee.
                  here is my question now. i'd love to ditch the WIFI extender because it was not a great setup to begin with (wiring and extender were all external). i opened up my inverter and the com board has a coax jack which looks like it would be for an antenna. is this a built in Zigbee chip? this new inverter i have is a SE6000H-US and has no LCD display.
                  would i be able to purchase an antenna and get this connected to my EERO? or will i still need the slave/master kit? i cant seem to find any good info on this inverter, everything seems to be for the older models which i know had no pre-installed Zigbee or cell chip.
                  sorry for the long read, but its been a lot of headaches with this system this year.
                  please let me know if pics of the board will help and i can get some.
                  thank you

Comment

Yet another Solaredge failure....
                    BSEE, R11, NABCEP, Chevy BoltEV, >3000kW installed

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
                      wish i did a lot more research before signing up. i could have done DIY and probably saved a ton on top of being able to choose better equipment.

Comment

Originally posted by solarix View Post
                        Took the words right out of my fingers.

Comment

Working...
                        X