X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Avalon
    • Feb 2020

SREC Trading Help Request

Hi all,

Apologies, newbie here and I'm sure this topic must have come up, but I searched and couldn't find an answer. Qn: for selling SRECs, do you folks recommend using a platform like SREC Trade, or more of a DIY approach like via the GATS bulletin board? Pros and cons? Feel free to DM me. All help much appreciated.

Cheers

Doug
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Solar energy renewable certificates (SRECs) are some of the most attractive solar incentives available in the United States. There are a variety of options for SREC brokers, but one of the more popular options homeowners work with is SRECTrade.

9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Avalon
      • Feb 2020

Thanks. So a 7% fee via SREC Trade here in DC could be around $30 per SREC. Curious if anyone has any negative views or experiences on selling them the DIY route through GATS?

Comment

• Ampster
        Solar Fanatic
        • Jun 2017

Originally posted by Avalon
        .......Curious if anyone has any negative views or experiences on selling them the DIY route through GATS?
        I looked into that market a few years ago and concluded I prefer tangible assets. The market seemed limited and subject to political policy influences. That was not a risk I was able to properly assess.
        9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• Apertuta
          • May 2022

SREC Trade has a rather intricate interface, so I also didn't immediately understand how everything works there. Try to find the SREC community FAQ to read the answers to the popular questions. I always open sites' FAQs when I don't understand something. GATS is convenient but not always practical since your ad will likely be at the bottom of the ads list if you don't promote it. So SREC Trade would be more logical to use. I didn't know about all this until I decided to learn forex trading step by step. Still, everything will be much more transparent if you study anything starting from the simple and approaching the complex.
          Last edited by Apertuta; 11-30-2022, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• peakbagger
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jun 2010

Every SREC market is local and dependent on the state more or less lucrative. NH has a SREC market but the utilities "own" the PUC and keeps the value low. Thus there are only a couple of active brokers. The one I use has a third party verifier that issues the SRECs in their back pocket so I go with them. Mass had a very lucrative SREC market, so lots more activity and options. Many homeowners are clueless and let the contractor set them up with an aggregator, they dont even realize they have a choice and reportedly in some cases contractors are registering the systems in their own names and keeping the SREC sales for themselves without the owner knowing or getting a kickback from the aggregator.

Comment

• Mike 134
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2022

Originally posted by peakbagger
              Every SREC market is local and dependent on the state more or less lucrative. NH has a SREC market but the utilities "own" the PUC and keeps the value low. Thus there are only a couple of active brokers. The one I use has a third party verifier that issues the SRECs in their back pocket so I go with them. Mass had a very lucrative SREC market, so lots more activity and options. Many homeowners are clueless and let the contractor set them up with an aggregator, they dont even realize they have a choice and reportedly in some cases contractors are registering the systems in their own names and keeping the SREC sales for themselves without the owner knowing or getting a kickback from the aggregator.
              /\ /\ /\ what he said. Illinois has a list of approved brokers so your choices are limited but hopefully also partially regulated. SREC trade pulled out of the Illinios market this past spring but because of the information I got prior to then I wouldn't use them. Had you sign a contract with them that was heavily in their favor. plus, other hoops to jump through.

Comment

Working...