Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MIdnite Classic design flaw?

Hi,

Back again. The max output of the Midnite classic 200 is 79 amps and the classic 150 96amps. The max wire size that can fit in the output of the classic 200 is AWG 4 and they state the following:

The connector will take up to a #4 AWG. #4 AWG THHN when installed in the Classic and MidNite E-Panel is rated for over 100 amps and is therefore suitable for the highest power available from the Classic 150.
    However, when I look up the NEC tables I get a max value of 95 amps for 4AWG THHN. So right off the bat the 96amps is over the limit and use of 4AWG is not code compliant. This isn't even taking into account continuous loads which the NEC says wire needs to be rated for 125% above - this would put the 79amps of the classic 200 to 98.75A which is again above the 95A allowed for 4AWG wire.

I assume I'm missing something but I don't know what.

Sometimes, when wires are in a certified cabinet (e-panel) the short runs can be allowed to exceed the "stuffed into a 40 foot long conduit" limits. But a call to Midnight should clear that up for you.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I will have to check my code book but I know that a single wire in "free air" can handle a higher amperage then 3 wires in a conduit.

Make sure you are looking at the correct table for how the wire is being run, if it is copper or aluminum and the heat rating of THHN insulation.

Comment

I'll try and find out what MidNite says. I've attached the table I was using. I mean is there a difference between AC and DC current when it comes to wire size?
        Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 9.30.18 PM.png
        Last edited by DavidH; 09-10-2019, 09:39 PM.

Comment

and the asterisk portion: Screen Shot 2019-09-10 at 9.36.02 PM.png

Comment

Working...
          X