9.1 KW solar system in Rhode Island

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 9.1 KW solar system in Rhode Island

Well, a few years ago, I thought I'll have a 7.2 kw solar system installed, but things didn't materialize.

roof is 30 degree angle and 174 degree azimuth.
    I have shading, and will need to cut some trees to bring up the TSRF to 81% (80% is needed to get the RI grant).

We average about 909 kWh per month, and Rhode Island is at least top 5 most expensive rate in the nation........I believe its time to get solar.
    Especially the technology got better, panels became more efficient, and prices went down. In addition, the 30% fed ITC will expire after 2019.

A couple of days ago, I signed a contract.

9.1 kw system:
    28 Hanwha Q-cells G5-325 panels w/ 12 year warranty
    https://www.q-cells.us/na/main/products/solar_panels/US_CANADA/residential/residential02.html

28 Enphase IQ 7+ microinverters w/ envoy monitor system w/ 25 year warranty
    https://enphase.com/en-us/products-and-services/microinverters/family

workmanship is 10 year warranty

$25,025 installed ($2.75 per watt and doesn't matter if I go Enphase IQ7+ or SolarEdge w/ power optimizers)

$25,025
    - 7,500 (RI grant)
    $12,267.50 final cost

basically $1.34 per watt!

I'll need to about 6 trees, and the tree service vendor quoted me $1600 for that, which is not bad at all. Of course, I'll include this amount to the total cost of the solar system so I can also apply the tree service amount to the 30% FED ITC.

The project will be submited to Rhode Island Energy Department on September 9, 2019. The result of approval should come out within a week
    Once approved, the trees will be cut....and the project will start.

I'll post photos during the installation...and of course after completion.
    Last edited by SKY888; 08-29-2019, 05:31 PM.

Cool, thanks for sharing, I really like the new system going in threads, cheers

Comment

Thank you Pete!

I just hope that my application submitted by my vendor gets approved! That $7,500 RI grant is huge, and I will not be able to afford the system, without it.

Comment

Sounds like a great system. That price is great.

I recently got a proposal for an 8kW system with LG 330watt panels and IQ7 micro's that came to $4.25/watt before any rebates. Even after some MFG rebate and the 30% Fed ITC the system still came to about $2.5/watt which gave me a 14 year ROI. Not something I was ready to jump at.

Comment

Thank you SunEagle

where do do you live? The rate you have seems a bit high.

my vendor gave me $2.93/watt (before rebates & etc) with LG335 neon 2 panels w/ enphase IQ7+
          but again, panels are now commodities...so I'm going with Hanwha 325 panels instead for only $2.75/watt (before rebates & etc).

from my calculations, even with my tree cutting service, ROI should be around 6 years, especially now that I heard our electric company will increase rate again this December!
          Last edited by SKY888; 08-30-2019, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Instead of the G5, they supplied me with G7 panels

the g7 panels only have 320w instead of 325w of the G5. But the G7 has a higher voltage

so instead of 9.1kw system, I have 8.960kw

So with the 8.960kw x $2.75

$24,640
            - $7500 RI grant
            $11,998

basically $1.33 per watt

Comment

$7500 Ri Grant was approved last September 2019

then the roof racks was installed in December 2019

the ugly PVC pipe will be removed & relocates to the other side of the roof
              Attached Files
              Last edited by SKY888; 01-21-2020, 11:21 AM.

Comment

Everything was installed in 3 days during the freezing December month.

i am so glad, that I relocated our vent pipe for $300 to the other side of the roof.
                or else, there will be an ugly pvc pipe sticking out in the middle of our solar panels!

now it just looks nice
                Attached Files
                Last edited by SKY888; 01-21-2020, 11:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SKY888 View Post
                  Everything was installed in 3 days during the freezing December month.

i am so glad, that I relocated our vent pipe for $300 to the other side of the roof.
                  or else, there will be an ugly pvc pipe sticking out in the middle of our solar panels!

now it just looks nice
                  Looks like a nice job. I am glad you are getting a great system for a low price.

I live down in Florida where there aren't any state or local rebates. So with a FED rebate of 26% it makes my payback longer than what was calculated last year.

I think Fl is still behind the times and the installers are charging a high price for those unsuspecting victims. Maybe by the time the FED rebate goes away then they will drop their prices or just move on because no one will be able to afford a pv system.

Comment

Working...
                  X