• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Getatmic
    • Jun 2011

PV 1Week Workshop...Seeking Advice / Nabcep

Hello,
    I'm about to take a 1week pv workshop.
    has anyone taken these before and what adivce would you have a beginner ?
    i've been on 3 pv installations and i'm studying the Pv Design and Install Manual ( class book)...any info would be awesome. feel free to email me if so.

the ultimate goal is pass the nabcep of course.
    i'm also seeking advice on how to study for that as well.
    bless
    Michael
  • Mike90250
    • May 2009

1) workshop ? name website ?

2) Are you an electrician ? You need to understand just about all of the household AC wiring codes, because you will be inside the main breaker panel, and working next to the live utility side of the meter socket.

3) for permits, inspections, insurance, you need electrical contractors license - a solar endorsement is nothing without the license to append it to.

Be advised, many of the "solar workshops" are scams that are 1 step above you tube classes. Unregulated, uncertified...
    Last edited by Mike90250; 06-01-2011, 03:43 PM.
    Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
    || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
    || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
    gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• russ
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2009

Mike is 100% correct - many are little more than expensive scams - try to be sure of what you will be getting for your time and money.
      [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Getatmic
        • Jun 2011

solar living institue.
        i'm not anything near an electrician. i'm an assistant at a company looking to make a career change. i voulenteer with a non profit group that installs pv modules on low income homes. i've been on 3 installs with them ( and i hope to continue at least one per month ), i'm studing those youtube classes as well, studiing the nabcep.com study guide, and reading up on the text SLI gave for the class.
        i have a heart for solar and renewable energy so i don;t mind the work, i just want to prepare in such a way i could make a career of it all. probably starting by working for a company....
        again, all info and advice is WELCOME !

Originally posted by Mike90250
        1) workshop ? name website ?

2) Are you an electrictian ? You need to understand just about all of the household AC wireing codes, because you will be inside the main breaker panel, and working next to the live utility side of the meter socket.

3) for permits, inspections, insurnace, you need electrical contractors license - a solar endorsement is nothing without the license to append it to.

Be advised, many of the "solar workshops" are scams that are 1 step above you tube classes. Unregulated, uncertified...

Comment

• Sunking
          Solar Fanatic
          • Feb 2010

Originally posted by Getatmic
          i have a heart for solar and renewable energy so i don;t mind the work, i just want to prepare in such a way i could make a career of it all. probably starting by working for a company....
          OK like Mike stated you will need an electrical liscense to make any real money. Otherwise all you can do with the NABCEP certification is to be a gofer for those who hold the electrical and/or contracting license.
          MSEE, PE

Comment

• Consersave
            • May 2011

Nabcep

Are you working with an electrician or contractor when installing the solar panels? Seems like you are taking the right steps to become a certified PV installer. I'm sure there are many electricians and contractors you could enlighten on their business prospects once you complete your NABCEP certification. Does anyone have anything Positive to say about becoming NABCEP Certified?

Comment

• russ
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jul 2009

The prices I saw on the solar living institute site were not at all cheap!
              [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Naptown
                Solar Fanatic
                • Feb 2011

The OP is talking about the 40 hour course which is entry level and will take the entry level exam at the end of the class. This is NOT becoming NABCEP certified this comes after some documented experience and another test.
                NABCEP certified Technical Sales Professional

[URL="http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showthread.php?5334-Solar-Off-Grid-Battery-Design"]http://www.solarpaneltalk.com/showth...Battery-Design[/URL]

[URL]http://www.calculator.net/voltage-drop-calculator.html[/URL] (Voltage drop Calculator among others)

[URL="http://www.gaisma.com"]www.gaisma.com[/URL]

Comment

• MarineLiner
                  Solar Skipper
                  • May 2009

1week pv workshop

Originally posted by Getatmic
                  the ultimate goal is pass the nabcep of course.
                  i'm also seeking advice on how to study for that as well.
                  Originally posted by Naptown
                  The OP is talking about the 40 hour course which is entry level and will take the entry level exam at the end of the class. This is NOT becoming NABCEP certified this comes after some documented experience and another test.

Comment

Working...