X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inetdog
    Super Moderator
    • May 2012

Originally posted by Roelfiest
    I found an LCB very easy, on the web, once I knew what to look for. I acquired one from Solar Converter, Inc., made in Canada. The manufacturer was on back order, but I found a supplier who shipped it. Arrived two day, which is in two days. The specs, a 7 Watt unit, is exactly what I needed.
    Tomorrow is testing time.
    Thanx again for your input.
    R.
    You are welcome, and please do come back with the results.
    SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• ZoNiE
      Solar Fanatic
      • Jul 2014

Originally posted by ZoNiE
      There is an inverter MFG in Taiwan making a GT inverter that will run w/o Grid power or battery. kinda new, No track record. I'll post if I can find the info. Of course, no output if the panels don't output some minimum that the inverter requires.

They were showing it at Intersolar running a refrigerator and a few other items.

Commercial Flywheel systems are available. There is an Intel Facility in Oregon which has one that keeps things going until the Diesel's fire up. I have not seen it, but it does exist. Perhaps there is someone on the board here who works at Ronler Acres could find out who makes it?
      OK, I found the flyer when I got home. Cyboinverter by Cyboenergy. They show it using a battery in the flyer, but I recall the guy at the show telling me it would work without, which made me wonder where any sort of surge capacity would come from for LRA on a fridge compressor, for example. Their flyer even says it uses the battery only for the Surge, and the inverter runs the refrigerator on the panels only. Their diagram also shows a CyboCharger.

It also says they are made in the USA... (Assembled more likely: put the PCB in the Case or something like that, I would guess.)

Anyway, more stuff out there to look at...
      Last edited by ZoNiE; 09-01-2014, 12:41 PM. Reason: spelling
      House-Sun Earth Hot Water.
      RV-390W Kyocera, Kid.

Comment

• Roelfiest
        • Aug 2014

Originally posted by sunnyspecial
        My question is
        can i use a solar panel in daytime directly to supply electricity my home appliances without using battery.

i mean

one solar panel and then inverter and then load.

is it possible?
        what possible safety measure should i have take into account to protect my appliances from overcurrent.
        I jumped into this conversation las week, because I had the same question. I was greatly helped and I wanted to thank the people and give a follow up.
        I wanted to run a deep well pump directly on a solar panel. I was told that I needed a "Linear Current Booster" . This LCB arranges the pane output in such a way, so that the voltage allowed for the pump is within the limits per pump specs.

I bought an LCB from Solar Converters Inc. in Canada. The panel output that goes up to 40 V, is neatly downscaled to 25 V, which is great for the 24 V pump.
        I must say that the instructions that came with LCB were wrong as far as the wire connections, but I found the right connection.
        Just wanted to let you know
        R.

Comment

• theshadownose
          • Sep 2011

Edison batteries

Originally posted by analogmanca
          Ok, I wont get into a argument with the experts on what cant be done so I will just make this one post, and leave it to others to find out if its so or not, but I have done it and more. Its called shunt regulation. In fact I have been using a shunt regulator ( have built a few kinds) for 4 years off one of my turbines, a otherpower style one, with capacitor support, and battery backup (but real small battery)
          It fact I cant say enough good things about it. the shunt is always on the mill rather than having a dump load that has to be switched on. I feel this is safer. The shunt regulator I am using now has a range of play (12.5 to 17 volts up to 300 amps) and is not a problem for my exanetrix, but rotary inverters that I put up pics of work too. I am changing my whole system around to work with this( panels and mill) my needs are modest (3 kwhrs/day) and am incorporating load sheading ( as needed)into my plan so I dont have to have a large bank. 6 t105s is my goal, with never more than 25% discharge.
          Anyway, Experiment, and try out different things you may make some discoveries on the way ( PS, I am fully unqualified in anyway,no initails after my name, only know what works for me)
          I am surprised that no one has brought up the old school Nickel Iron batteries yet.... Expensive as all heck for this, but will last years and years...

Comment

• russ
            Solar Fanatic
            • Jul 2009

Originally posted by Roelfiest
            I jumped into this conversation las week, because I had the same question. I was greatly helped and I wanted to thank the people and give a follow up.

I must say that the instructions that came with LCB were wrong as far as the wire connections, but I found the right connection.
            Just wanted to let you know
            R.
            Good to hear you got it under control!
            [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Comment

• Mike90250
              • May 2009

Originally posted by theshadownose
              I am surprised that no one has brought up the old school Nickel Iron batteries yet.... Expensive as all heck for this, but will last years and years...
              but now I'm looking at that pesky electrolyte change out......
              Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
              || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
              || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
              gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

• hugosereno
                • Jul 2015

Solar without batteries nor grid connection

Originally posted by sunnyspecial
                My question is
                can i use a solar panel in daytime directly to supply electricity my home appliances without using battery.

i mean

one solar panel and then inverter and then load.

is it possible?
                what possible safety measure should i have take into account to protect my appliances from overcurrent.
                ---------------
                I want to do the same. So far the only unit close that is the "Sunny Boy" from 3KW to 12KW. I had read somewhere that it can work off the grid without batteries.... but I don't remember the site.
                I think that minimal batteries can be used just to get the unit working. Then during the day with the battery charged, we should be able to use any extra power provided by the panels with no worries. (This would be 12 VDC through a larger AC inverter, although I'd prefer 240 VAC direct from the panels through a converter/inverter of some sort.

Comment

• almac
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • May 2015

if you are trying to avoid the expense of batteries i have found a way and its not using junked batteries although i am trying that as well. i have now got 6 x 250w panels 2 lots of 3 x 250w panels in parallel. 2 x 30amp pwm charge controllers .. here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wwpRnlNPnI its as cheap as chips just $40au off ebay and they work great
                  both of these charge 4 x 12v marine batteries arranged in a 24v config. i use this during the daytime to run heavy loads off a 2000w inverter. fridge, washing machine, coffee machine power tools and also run a 40amp 14v dc power supply to charge 2 x 12v deep cycle batteries. the deep cycle batteries i use at night to run tv, lights laptops off a 300w 12 inverter. the marine batteries never discharge because i only use them during the day and the charge controllers keep them at near full capacity

Comment

• posplayr
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2015

Originally posted by almac
                    if you are trying to avoid the expense of batteries i have found a way and its not using junked batteries although i am trying that as well. i have now got 6 x 250w panels 2 lots of 3 x 250w panels in parallel. 2 x 30amp pwm charge controllers .. here https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0wwpRnlNPnI its as cheap as chips just $40au off ebay and they work great
                    both of these charge 4 x 12v marine batteries arranged in a 24v config. i use this during the daytime to run heavy loads off a 2000w inverter. fridge, washing machine, coffee machine power tools and also run a 40amp 14v dc power supply to charge 2 x 12v deep cycle batteries. the deep cycle batteries i use at night to run tv, lights laptops off a 300w 12 inverter. the marine batteries never discharge because i only use them during the day and the charge controllers keep them at near full capacity

If you couple a a.) single panel (120 Watt) b.) DC to DC step down converter with c.) a reasonable about of energy storage (across the 12V load) you won't run all night but you can run off of one panel and survive a couple of minutes of solar blockage. The Cap will certainly provide the current for any needed surge for a reasonably sized inverter. You would basically need one of the DC to DC convertors for each panel and though you could do some sharing of the super caps as that is peak surge related.

The DC to DC power supplies are pretty cheap but need some packaging for the DIY.

Comment

• Beanyboy57
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Apr 2012

Originally posted by TnAndy
                      Why would you burn 7 light bulbs in the day time ?

What you haven't picked up on is the batteries, or the grid, level out the power supply.

That's the WHY of what these other guys are trying to tell you when they say "It won't work"......because it won't work.
                      What we all neglect to talk about is the re-education of ourselves. We are all spoilt (in the western world) in our usage of electricity. We use it without thinking, we use it without a plan, we use if because we can afford it whenever we like. We don't realise that the governments of most western nations are heavily subsidising the pocos so that it 'seems' like fossil fuel produced electricity is very economical.

Off grid will work when we have better energy storage facilities, when we are better educated about our own personal usage and when we have improved equipment, but that is perhaps a few years away yet.

For example, you talk about 100 watt lights!!! My lights are from 8 to 20w LED. I haven't used an incandescent light for the last 5 years.
                      My family are now well educated about power usage because that is the first battle you will need to win if you want to lower your power costs. For now, grid-tied is the way to go, off grid is a future concept. I know because I have both.
                      I would say that you need to look at your system first before you think about off-grid.

Comment

• J.P.M.
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2013

Originally posted by Beanyboy57
                        What we all neglect to talk about is the re-education of ourselves. We are all spoilt (in the western world) in our usage of electricity. We use it without thinking, we use it without a plan, we use if because we can afford it whenever we like. We don't realise that the governments of most western nations are heavily subsidising the pocos so that it 'seems' like fossil fuel produced electricity is very economical.

Off grid will work when we have better energy storage facilities, when we are better educated about our own personal usage and when we have improved equipment, but that is perhaps a few years away yet.

For example, you talk about 100 watt lights!!! My lights are from 8 to 20w LED. I haven't used an incandescent light for the last 5 years.
                        My family are now well educated about power usage because that is the first battle you will need to win if you want to lower your power costs. For now, grid-tied is the way to go, off grid is a future concept. I know because I have both.
                        I would say that you need to look at your system first before you think about off-grid.
                        What is your total, annual electrical energy consumption ?

Comment

• almac
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • May 2015

Originally posted by Beanyboy57

howdy, i joined this site 2 months ago, been told by the experts here that off grid is a fantasy its all too expensive blah blah and been laughed at. well 2 months of trial and error iv arrived at a viable CHEAP off grid system with a CHEAP battery array. i rarely need the gen unless its cloudy for days at a time. if the batteries iv bought last just 1 year they have paid for themselves. of course a big part of a successful off grid system is power consumption. i eliminate everything that uses power that i can. use gas cooking, wood fire heating, gas hot water. (cast iron bath with gas flame underneath for washing) but can run everything i need like washing machine coffee machine power tools tv computers lights fridge. the fridge i freeze water bottles in the freezer compartment to save power time

Comment

• posplayr
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jun 2015

Originally posted by almac
                            howdy, i joined this site 2 months ago, been told by the experts here that off grid is a fantasy its all too expensive blah blah and been laughed at. well 2 months of trial and error iv arrived at a viable CHEAP off grid system with a CHEAP battery array. i rarely need the gen unless its cloudy for days at a time. if the batteries iv bought last just 1 year they have paid for themselves. of course a big part of a successful off grid system is power consumption. i eliminate everything that uses power that i can. use gas cooking, wood fire heating, gas hot water. (cast iron bath with gas flame underneath for washing) but can run everything i need like washing machine coffee machine power tools tv computers lights fridge. the fridge i freeze water bottles in the freezer compartment to save power time
                            You still have not answered the basic question; How much power are you using? Most of the responses of why it doesn't work are for economic reasons for large multi Kwatt systems. It is certainly not impossible to pull power from a solar system and it is not impossible to run appliances from a solar panel, you just have to deal with the variability of the supply (i.e. the sun) and the variability of the load (e.g. startup loads).

If you want something to supply power all the time (e.g. when the sun is gone), you are talking batteries as the most economical. If you can go without power at night then you don't need as much battery capacity. Now you are down to the next largest variability which would be sun obstructions lowering panel output. If you can live with anything less than say 1 hour just cut your battery capacity 16 hours (overnight loads) down to 1 hour (day time loads). You actual usage will dictate if that could give you a 10:1 factor or not in battery capacity.

So the bottom line is you have to either
                            a.) accept(loss of power) or
                            b.) deal with the variability (draw on reserve storage of power previously harvested).
                            The variability comes in two primary forms:
                            1.) the solar power generation and
                            2.) the loads placed on that generation.

Most of the answers by experts are in class b.) for kwatt based systems which economically is cheapest using batteries whether the variability is 1.) or 2.)

A strategy to take option a.) by reducing loads under 2.) does reduce battery capacity requirements as you should now well know.

Comment

• SolarEd
                              • Jul 2015

I just seen this and was woundering is it meter tampering??

not shure how to show link just goto youtube and type in how to lower you electic bill oncor said he was meter tampering
                              Last edited by solar pete; 07-06-2015, 11:12 PM. Reason: remove link

Comment

• solar pete
                                Administrator
                                • May 2014

Originally posted by SolarEd
                                not shure how to show link just goto youtube and type in how to lower you electic bill oncor said he was meter tampering
                                Hello Solar Ed and welcome to Solar Panel Talk. We dont allow links from newbies as its an anti-spam thing, we get daily spam issues. The other thing is that I know a lot of people dont click on links so you are far better of explaining what you want on the forum rather than posting a link, cheers

Comment

Working...