Used inverters?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used inverters?

Given that some inverters have a long guarantee, some in the range of 10 years, would you buy a used one?
    Manufacturers only give long guarantees to their products if they are confident in their longevity.
    Granted the guarantee is no longer valid of course. There do seem to be a lot of them out there.
    I guess it would depend on the price. I am using a Fronius 3.0 -1 inverter, and have seen several used Fronius, one of which is identical to mine, for 65% less money.
    At the time I bought mine, i could afford it anyway, but I might have been temped now.
    Who would take the risk? (I don't have any to sell before you ask).

Originally posted by C.R.J. View Post
    Given that some inverters have a long guarantee, some in the range of 10 years, would you buy a used one?
    Manufacturers only give long guarantees to their products if they are confident in their longevity.
    Granted the guarantee is no longer valid of course. There do seem to be a lot of them out there.
    I guess it would depend on the price. I am using a Fronius 3.0 -1 inverter, and have seen several used Fronius, one of which is identical to mine, for 65% less money.
    At the time I bought mine, i could afford it anyway, but I might have been temped now.
    Who would take the risk? (I don't have any to sell before you ask).
    'Used' or 'Surplus'? There are plenty of great deals on new in box but surplus inverters. I don't think a 'used' inverter is much of a bargain compared to an older model but new-in-box inverter. I found a killer deal for a friend a couple years ago. Fronius 11.4kW inverters for $1500. He bought 2 and they're both working great. Renvu is currently offering older SMA inverters for ~$500. I recently got another great deal from Renvu. They were giving away a M215 Enphase inverter with 270w panels.

Comment

I bought two used Xantrex Prosine 1800/24's on eBay a couple of years ago and am very happy with them.

Comment

If the project is a DIY then finding low cost equipment makes sense. If the project is a new grid tie system then going with used equipment may be a mistake.

Comment

One thing I'd consider in addition to probably no warranty is whether or not the un-new equipment complies with current requirements for rapid shutdown being one example.
          Last edited by J.P.M.; 06-23-2019, 03:41 PM.

Comment

I agree, grid connected brings additional concerns.

So far, all of mine have been off grid. I don't think that I would buy used gear for grid tie.

Comment

Not to mention you lose the 30% federal tax credit with grid tie and
              used equipment.
              2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

For grid tie, I'd risk used as a spare (tested before I store it)
                Since I'm off grid, I'm not certain I'd like to be relying on used/unknown gear, but I like the idea of a spare, but not a $4K spare, so used is attractive if it's functional.
                Powerfab top of pole PV mount (2) | Listeroid 6/1 w/st5 gen head | XW6048 inverter/chgr | Iota 48V/15A charger | Morningstar 60A MPPT | 48V, 800A NiFe Battery (in series)| 15, Evergreen 205w "12V" PV array on pole | Midnight ePanel | Grundfos 10 SO5-9 with 3 wire Franklin Electric motor (1/2hp 240V 1ph ) on a timer for 3 hr noontime run - Runs off PV ||
                || Midnight Classic 200 | 10, Evergreen 200w in a 160VOC array ||
                || VEC1093 12V Charger | Maha C401 aa/aaa Charger | SureSine | Sunsaver MPPT 15A

solar: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Solar
                gen: http://tinyurl.com/LMR-Lister

Comment

I am tempted to buy one as a spare, but the price would have to be really good.

P.S. J.P.M. Is "un-new" actually a word? (LOL)

Comment

I am tempted to buy one as a spare, but the price would have to be really good.

P.S. J.P.M. Is "un-new" actually a word? (LOL)
                    Since the authors of "The King's English" are long gone and since language is a continuously evolving rather than a static thing, I guess it might qualify. I think it did convey a meaning in the context used.

I'll plead guilty to mini-circumlocution if you blow me into lexicon enforcement .

Comment

Depends on what it is.

A used Trace SW5548? You bet. Those things are classics and last forever.
                      A used Radian? Sure, if I was looking at an off grid or hybrid application.
                      A used grid tie string inverter? If it was an exact match for one of my existing ones, perhaps. If not there are plenty of good string tie inverters out there for cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike90250 View Post
                        For grid tie, I'd risk used as a spare (tested before I store it)
                        Since I'm off grid, I'm not certain I'd like to be relying on used/unknown gear, but I like the idea of a spare, but not a $4K spare, so used is attractive if it's functional.
                        Hey Mike, can you email me at myzzzzxxxxyyyyyyy? I want to hire you to advise me on a system...I don't have time to wait for responses on the forum. Thank you.
                        Last edited by Mike90250; 06-24-2019, 01:58 AM. Reason: remove email

Comment

Working...
                        X