Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JerryA
    • Apr 2019

Inverter only producing half power

My system is about 5 years old. When first installed I would see about 2000 watts max, typically less. On a hot summer day perhaps only 1100 watts. During the last 6 months I am only seeing about 500 to 700 watts. A technician has been out twice. He checked the panels, two parallel arrays, and voltage was equal on both sets. The inverter is a Fronius IG 3000. The only error code showing is the "it got dark last night" normal one. The tech thinks it is the inverter but can not replace it without an error code. Some of these inverters have two units internally. Could one have stopped without an error code? Any suggestions? - Jerry
  • Ampster
    Solar Fanatic
    • Jun 2017

Voltage equal on the arrays? Did he check Amperage?
    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• inetdog
      Super Moderator
      • May 2012

Originally posted by Ampster
      Voltage equal on the arrays? Did he check Amperage?

The voltage could be fine with a defective cell in one panel keeping the whole string from producing much at all. If he suspects one half of the inverter, just disconnect one half of the array at a time and then move each half to the other set of terminals.
      SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• JerryA
        • Apr 2019

Yes, he reported equal amperage from both arrays. If the array was bad then the voltage input to the inverter would be sagging under load. Didn't see that happening. The two parallel arrays are joined at the roof. Only one pair of wires coming down to the DC disconnect and then to the inverter.

Comment

• inetdog
          Super Moderator
          • May 2012

Originally posted by JerryA
          Yes, he reported equal amperage from both arrays. If the array was bad then the voltage input to the inverter would be sagging under load. Didn't see that happening. The two parallel arrays are joined at the roof. Only one pair of wires coming down to the DC disconnect and then to the inverter.
          Not true. That is not how an MPPT input stage works. If the array is only capable of putting out half power, the maximum power voltage, Vmp, will not be any different from the situation with full array output.
          SunnyBoy 3000 US, 18 BP Solar 175B panels.

Comment

• emartin00
            Solar Fanatic
            • Aug 2013

The only real effective way to determine if panels are functioning properly is with an IV Curve trace. OC Voltage only tells you so much.

Comment

• jflorey2
              Solar Fanatic
              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by emartin00
              The only real effective way to determine if panels are functioning properly is with an IV Curve trace. OC Voltage only tells you so much.
              Testing Voc and Isc will tell you 99% of what you need to know. If it passes those two tests, there's very little else that can be wrong with it.

Comment

• littleharbor
                Solar Fanatic
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by jflorey2
                Testing Voc and Isc will tell you 99% of what you need to know. If it passes those two tests, there's very little else that can be wrong with it.

The thing is there's no load in panels when checking either Voc. or Isc. Granted these two tests will definitely weed out a malfunctioning panel in many cases. Panels will many times show fine with no load on them but they really need to be under load, and if possible when fully heated by the sun to bring out some problems.
                2.2kw Suntech mono, Classic 200, NEW Trace SW4024

Comment

• jflorey2
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Aug 2015

Originally posted by littleharbor
                  [LEFT][COLOR=#000000][FONT=Helvetica][SIZE=13px]The thing is there's no load in panels when checking either Voc. or Isc.
                  Isc is tested under maximum load (short circuit.) For panel tests you just connect the two leads together and use a clamp on ammeter.

Comment

• Ampster
                    Solar Fanatic
                    • Jun 2017

The suspense is killing me. I hope we hear the final outcome.

I am happy I have Solaredge and Enphase on my installations because in both cases I can see panel level production and ought to he able to see if my Solaredge inverters are performing. One is 300 miles away but monitoring allows me to set alerts.
                    9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

• littleharbor
                      Solar Fanatic
                      • Jan 2016

Isc is tested under maximum load (short circuit.) For panel tests you just connect the two leads together and use a clamp on ammeter.

My bad on the wording. Thing is Isc. isn't going to give you a working panel's results. Just like open circuit voltage , in that you can get full Voc. from a bad panel, put a load on it and the voltage can collapse if it is a bad panel. I saw lots of this with the bad BP Solar products.

Comment

• jflorey2
                        Solar Fanatic
                        • Aug 2015

Originally posted by littleharbor
                        My bad on the wording. Thing is Isc. isn't going to give you a working panel's results. Just like open circuit voltage , in that you can get full Voc. from a bad panel, put a load on it and the voltage can collapse if it is a bad panel. I saw lots of this with the bad BP Solar products.
                        Have you ever seen a panel give a good Voc and a good Isc - then collapse when a 'normal' load is placed on it? I never have. I can't even imagine how it would happen - a very high resistance connection somewhere? But that would give you a low Isc as well.

Comment

• littleharbor
                          Solar Fanatic
                          • Jan 2016

The bad BP panels had a problem with the leads lacking in strain relief They could test ok Voc and Isc but once connected and warm in the sun they would start failing, some scorching from the back of the j-box . Some worse than others, some charred, some even so hot as to shatter the glass.

Comment

• bcroe
                            Solar Fanatic
                            • Jan 2012

Have you ever seen a panel give a good Voc and a good Isc - then collapse when a 'normal' load is placed on it? I never have. I can't even imagine how it would happen - a very high resistance connection somewhere? But that would give you a low Isc as well.
                            I have a couple that do that. With 3 bypass diode sections, they show good open ckt voltage. But in a string,
                            under best sun the voltage drops to 2/3 or 1/3 of normal. It happens because one or 2 sections cannot
                            maintain full current under best sun. So the rest of the string forces them into bypass.

They have no problem with open circuit voltage, and a short circuit test demonstrates the good section(s)
                            while the weak sections go into bypass.

I have a couple of these, culled from 4 strings of no name Evil bay panels. Still trying to find a good use
                            for them, either run stand alone for some minor function, or set up a pair with weak sections shorted, to
                            replace one good panel. Bruce Roe

Comment

• jflorey2
                              Solar Fanatic
                              • Aug 2015

Originally posted by bcroe
                              I have a couple that do that. With 3 bypass diode sections, they show good open ckt voltage. But in a string,
                              under best sun the voltage drops to 2/3 or 1/3 of normal. It happens because one or 2 sections cannot
                              maintain full current under best sun. So the rest of the string forces them into bypass.

They have no problem with open circuit voltage, and a short circuit test demonstrates the good section(s)
                              while the weak sections go into bypass.

I have a couple of these, culled from 4 strings of no name Evil bay panels. Still trying to find a good use
                              for them, either run stand alone for some minor function, or set up a pair with weak sections shorted, to
                              replace one good panel. Bruce Roe
                              Interesting. Thanks for the info.

Comment

Working...