Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Registering and trading SRECs

Hi everyone.
    New here, having just had a 13.5kw roof system installed in Washington DC.
    My question is about which is the best platform to register and trade SRECs with? Our installer sent us a form to register with SRECTrade, but would anyone recommend any of the others such as Sol Systems or Flett Exchange?

Many thanks,
    J

Hi Thenighttripper,

Welcome! I live in NJ (11.2kW rooftop) and use Flett Exchange . Works great for me. But I've heard good things about SRECTrade, too. For me, there's a NJ state system (PJM-EIS GATS) I have to register my production in first to earn the SREC's. But then from there I can easily sell them to Flett or other's at market rate each month or as desired.

Check with your "state" first to see how you register and earn SREC's. Then see what brokers they have available in their system.

Best,
    Jonathan

Comment

Thanks Jonathan.
      DC is part of the same PJM-EIS GATS. I looked into selling directly on the GATS board as you can try to get the best prices from competing brokers such as Flett, SS, or SRECTrade. How much could the prices differ between them? Not much I imagine, and maybe not worth the hassle given that I'll be generating less than 20 SRECs/yr. It seems like selling using an aggregator is simpler, even if they charge commission.

Have only just turned on my system - and it has sadly been very overcast since - so have time to do more research.

J

Comment

Yeah, I only make ~13-15 MWh per year. I generally save up a few SREC's, watch the prices and then sell them (to Flett) in small batches of 2 to 4 SREC's throughout the year. My most recent transaction was for 4 SREC's with Flett. Total commission was $10.

As I recall I chose Flett because it was all EFT. No paper checks or any of that nonsense. Everything online and I get my money in 2 to 3 days (or less).

In 2018 I offset 85% of my total consumption with Solar! I had hoped my system would produce more (was hoping to have extra capacity for a new Tesla) But when i bought my system I didn't realize:

1) How much shade I really had (one day I'll have to trim those damn trees)
        2) How much of a negative impact a 20 degree pitch would be
        3) How many overcast and cloudy days we have in the town where I live

Oh well. Between the Federal rebate, consumption offset, and SREC, i should break even in 6 more years.

By then Tesla should have full sell driving so I can sleep or watch Netflix during my hour plus commute (-:

Comment

Originally posted by JSchnee21
          1) How much shade I really had (one day I'll have to trim those damn trees)
          After you trim the trees, they will grow back worse than ever. Now days I trim them to below ground level.
          Bruce Roe

Comment

Something about SRECs that bring out the spammers.

Comment

Working...
            X