Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • soleremy
    • Dec 2018

Selling Energy Back to the Grid

I recently had solar installed, and am predicted to generate a bit more power then I use. I am in Atlantic County and use Atlantic City electric, however I am able to switch providers. This may be a silly question but given that the energy provider needs to buy back electricity at the retail rate would I be able to switch to a more expensive provider to get a larger credit on my bill?
  • ButchDeal
    Solar Fanatic
    • Apr 2014

Originally posted by soleremy
    I recently had solar installed, and am predicted to generate a bit more power then I use. I am in Atlantic County and use Atlantic City electric, however I am able to switch providers. This may be a silly question but given that the energy provider needs to buy back electricity at the retail rate would I be able to switch to a more expensive provider to get a larger credit on my bill?
    Over producton is NOT purchased at retail rate. In fact some utilities do not buy it at all, it is donated. You would need to check the two utilities out to see which has the better deal but do not expect retail. The best you will get is wholesale, though you will likely want to hold the credits for a year
    OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• soleremy
      • Dec 2018

Originally posted by ButchDeal

Over producton is NOT purchased at retail rate. In fact some utilities do not buy it at all, it is donated. You would need to check the two utilities out to see which has the better deal but do not expect retail. The best you will get is wholesale, though you will likely want to hold the credits for a year
      In NJ, you get a full retail credit on your bill. If you do not use this credit within one year then you get a check for the unused electricity at the wholesale rate.

Comment

• ButchDeal
        Solar Fanatic
        • Apr 2014

In NJ, you get a full retail credit on your bill. If you do not use this credit within one year then you get a check for the unused electricity at the wholesale rate.
        exactly what I stated, over production is paid at Wholesale rate which is generally between 1/3 and 1/4 of retail rate.

If you are predicted to generate a bit more power than you use (annually) then you will only get paid wholesale for it (not much). All utilities would have the same wholesale rate in the county.
        OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• azdave
          • Oct 2014

If you are only over-producing a bit, it doesn't sound like it is worth the hassle of changing providers if you'll only get wholesale value when you cash-out annually. I over-produce as well but it was never my plan to sell back to the POCO. We just use less electricity now than 4 years ago. Since our surplus is in the winter and gets zero'd out before summer, I try to find other uses for the excess energy like welders and running energy hungry air compressors and power tools since I work on old cars over the winter.
          Last edited by azdave; 12-12-2018, 11:20 AM.
          Dave W. Gilbert AZ
          6.63kW grid-tie owner

Comment

• soleremy
            • Dec 2018

good points, thanks guys

Comment

• bcroe
              Solar Fanatic
              • Jan 2012

My net metering agreement is with the power company. I think any other provider would NOT honor it. Bruce Roe

Comment

• soleremy
                • Dec 2018

Did some more research and for anyone that is interested, you can switch energy suppliers and keep your net metering in NJ, however everytime you switch suppliers you will be mailed a check for the wholesale cost of all excess electricity produced,

Comment

• Ampster
                  Solar Fanatic
                  • Jun 2017

Originally posted by bcroe

My net metering agreement is with the power company. I think any other provider would NOT honor it. Bruce Roe
                  In California if you are in an area where a Community Choice Aggregation entity operates you can choose between the CCA or the IOU (POCO). If you elect the CCA the IOU does the billing and charges for distribution and separates the CCA generation charges. In my case Sonoma Clean Power (CCA) reimburses the net generation at retail. Retail for generation is slightly above the wholesale rate. It is not much but other incentives make it a valuable resource for some.
                  Last edited by Ampster; 12-14-2018, 10:11 AM.
                  9 kW solar, 42kWh LFP storage. EV owner since 2012

Comment

Working...