Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CanadianOffGrid
    • Oct 2018

Calculating a drop in power.

Theoretically, does raising the voltage, say from 12v to 120v, decrease amperage by a factor of 10?
  • SunEagle
    Super Moderator
    • Oct 2012

Originally posted by CanadianOffGrid
    Theoretically, does raising the voltage, say from 12v to 120v, decrease amperage by a factor of 10?
    Pretty much. While there is some percentage of losses the formula is Watts = Volts x Amps. So for the watts to stay the same you would decrease the amps by increasing the volts.

Comment

• CanadianOffGrid
      • Oct 2018

Thanks. I can see why some who are new to the industry like myself can be easily mislead by solar panels advertised as 100 watts, 200 watts etc, not realizing that when 12 volts is converted to 120 volts, it's less by a factor of 10. I suppose this is why some have argued that solar is inefficient and costly, particularly if they want to continue living as they do on the grid.

Comment

• SunEagle
        Super Moderator
        • Oct 2012

Thanks. I can see why some who are new to the industry like myself can be easily mislead by solar panels advertised as 100 watts, 200 watts etc, not realizing that when 12 volts is converted to 120 volts, it's less by a factor of 10. I suppose this is why some have argued that solar is inefficient and costly, particularly if they want to continue living as they do on the grid.
        You are welcome. Don't forget there will be some losses by converting from the DC voltage from the panel to an AC voltage load through an inverter.

Comment

• ButchDeal
          Solar Fanatic
          • Apr 2014

Thanks. I can see why some who are new to the industry like myself can be easily mislead by solar panels advertised as 100 watts, 200 watts etc, not realizing that when 12 volts is converted to 120 volts, it's less by a factor of 10.
          No the watts stay the same. amps drop in the formula. See watts = Volts X Amps so you 100watt at 12V is still 100watt at 120V. There is some loss in the conversion and generally 120V is going to be AC while 12V is DC so some loss due to inverter as well.
          OutBack FP1 w/ CS6P-250P http://bit.ly/1Sg5VNH

Comment

• CanadianOffGrid
            • Oct 2018

Originally posted by ButchDeal

No the watts stay the same. amps drop in the formula. See watts = Volts X Amps so you 100watt at 12V is still 100watt at 120V. There is some loss in the conversion and generally 120V is going to be AC while 12V is DC so some loss due to inverter as well.
            All these numbers can be confusing and misleading, if we think that say 1000 watts @ 12v DC entering an inverter will be able to drive 1000 watt appliance or tool @ 120v AC when it leaves the inverter, assuming for a moment that everything runs at 100% efficiency.
            Last edited by CanadianOffGrid; 10-23-2018, 06:51 PM.

Comment

Working...